World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to hear if anyone has any stories about their boats breaking down, what happened, where etc..

It seems to me that boats do break down from time to time. Only last week there were 2 boats out of Banff in NE Scotland who ran into difficulties.

The first one snagged his prop on a Creel/Pot, the coupling was ripped from the engine and luckily someone managed to tow the boat to safety. In this area the sea is like a minefield of creels but what makes it even worse is that they aren't displayed/highlighted properly. Often they are poorly marked and their ropes are left floating on the water at low tide. A simple chain just below the buoy keeps the rope vertical. Other instances involve ropes being too short so that any buoys are just below the water surface at high tide, careless again.

The second boat lost its prop pin and nut so that it wasn't attached to the shaft and was going nowhere fast. It had to be towed in the same day as the other boat. This is obviously not the owners fault as something like that can not be predicted.

·
Banned
746 Posts
Breakdowns - heres mine:

1. cush drive broke between the engine & gearbox (6 miles out).
Lesson - Align them at sea, not on land. (My fault)

2. Ran over the anchor warp and got anchored stern first by the propellor.
I started the boat in gear at slack water with polypropylene rope floating on the surface.
Lesson - pay attention! also use sinking rope. (My fault)

3. Ran out of diesel 4 miles out after re-filling night before trip. Some-one syphoned 12 gallons of diesel (red!) and replaced cap - if they had left it off I would have known!.
Lesson - should have checked on the day (My fault)

Wildercard.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wildercard said:
Breakdowns - heres mine:

Wildercard.
Sounds like you've had a few problems! Wonder why anybody would go to the effort of nicking Red diesel...Not exactly expensive.
It seems to be part of boating though that something does happen after a while. I dont think boats are as reliable as people think, but you do learn from mistakes.

The few things I do before leaving are check my oil, fuel and gearbox oil, check my prop gland (no water getting in when its running) and check my bilge pump is working.
I have had a few minor problems (oil leak, fuel leak, abnormal engine noise) but nothing that has stopped me getting into the harbour.......touch wood!

·
Banned
746 Posts
I had all sorts of things stolen from the boat in the boatyard where I kept it.
I made a rudimentary gaff from a broom shank handle, bent wire and jubilee clips - a real basic job - it was stolen. If I ever left old hooks or any lead weights, they would disappear. I left 4 of those electrical crimp connectors in a bag in the cabin - I never saw them again - you can buy them for 10/15p each :rolleyes:

Wildercard.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Must be bad in your area Wild, if it isn't nailed down it'll get nabbed. Probably take the nails if they weren't nailed!

There was a few things (fishing rods/tools) nicked of a boat in the harbour that I'm berthed in last week. It taught me that nothing can be left without folk making off with it. Am sure you've realised that!!

·
Banned
746 Posts
Thing that got to me was I knew all the lads down there and they were really friendly. When I went home gear was stolen - only stuff useful to other fishermen.

Wildercard.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hi Wildercard
Out of interest, where is the yard that you kept your boat? I would like to steer clear if possible. It's coming to something when you can't leave bits of terminal tackle on board. :(
Cheers
Arct...

·
Banned
746 Posts
I would rather not say. It was 6 long years ago and the main culprits have moved on. I have just re-joined this club and don't want to cause trouble to what could be a good club now. Hope you understand a bit of diplomacy is needed.

Wildercard.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
No problem m8, if every thing is going okay now don't rock the boat. ( No pun intended)
Arct....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts