World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to a local auction last night and picked up a
daiwa sealine SL175H muliplier reel(and an old beachcaster) for £7 i was well happy, till i got the reel in my hand and found that the level wind did'nt work:doh: the level wind bit is stuck to one side.
would it be worth opening it up to have a look?:unsure: or will there be bits flying out like springs or anything else? it work's fine but would like it if i could fix the level wind bit

the rod is a old hollow fiberglass one and very flexable at the top half, there is a sticker on it but most of it has been worn off, it has 3 grips(like old molded plastic bike grips)
the rings are stainless steel and bound on with thread and varnished
the reel seat is also stainless with a sort of wing nut to tighten the reel on with
there is writing engraved on the reel seat that says.....MODERN ARMS COMPANY LTD, BROMLEY KENT, MADALOCK, BRIT PAT No 959942

an ID on the rod and any info would be great

cheer's jerry

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
That its only the pawl (No 18 in the diag) that locates in the level wind worm that is worn, it's usually held in by a screw on cap (No 20 in the diag), unscrew the cap & tap the reel & the pawl should fall out, or you can grip it with a tweezers, buy a new pawl from the tackle shop (they are all the same size Abu, Daiwa, Penn) drop it back in & make sure it locates in the worm, & hey presto one working reel!;)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers mortonboy,
i opened it up and found that the idle gear cog is all chewed up
i had a look on mikesreeelrepair.com but the part could'nt be found even put the part number in the search but no luck
dose anyone have one? or even a whole reel old or broken that i could have for free or for a small fee

cheers jerry

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
i went to a local auction last night and picked up a
daiwa sealine SL175H muliplier reel(and an old beachcaster) for £7 i was well happy, till i got the reel in my hand and found that the level wind did'nt work:doh: the level wind bit is stuck to one side.
would it be worth opening it up to have a look?:unsure: or will there be bits flying out like springs or anything else? it work's fine but would like it if i could fix the level wind bit

the rod is a old hollow fiberglass one and very flexable at the top half, there is a sticker on it but most of it has been worn off, it has 3 grips(like old molded plastic bike grips)
the rings are stainless steel and bound on with thread and varnished
the reel seat is also stainless with a sort of wing nut to tighten the reel on with
there is writing engraved on the reel seat that says.....MODERN ARMS COMPANY LTD, BROMLEY KENT, MADALOCK, BRIT PAT No 959942

an ID on the rod and any info would be great

cheer's jerry
What colour is the blank and the thread wraps??? The reel seat sounds like a Modalock which was made by Modern Arms, heavy duty brass with chromed finish. The blank would`nt be brown by any chance and the thread wraps done with "dotty" thread as I call it, black and gold dots or similar????

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That its only the pawl (No 18 in the diag) that locates in the level wind worm that is worn, it's usually held in by a screw on cap (No 20 in the diag), unscrew the cap & tap the reel & the pawl should fall out, or you can grip it with a tweezers, buy a new pawl from the tackle shop (they are all the same size Abu, Daiwa, Penn) drop it back in & make sure it locates in the worm, & hey presto one working reel!;)
thanks Blueskip, but its not that one, its this one inside the reel itself
i think its (No7 in the diag)

can i get that one from a tackle shop?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What colour is the blank and the thread wraps??? The reel seat sounds like a Modalock which was made by Modern Arms, heavy duty brass with chromed finish. The blank would`nt be brown by any chance and the thread wraps done with "dotty" thread as I call it, black and gold dots or similar????
the rod is a greenie colour and the wraps are black, its a mutiplier rod for defo, cause the bottom ring is a small one, and not like the large ring on a fixed spool rod

thats all thats left of the sticker

sorry for the large pics,dont know how to do the small clickable ones yet

cheers jerry

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The rod looks like it could be one of the old Modern Arms Dover range of rods. They made a few models / sizes around the 1970s, boat, beach and pier versions,Ok back then, but not really up to it now.

Raider

·
Registered
728 Posts
I remember rods like that. Modern Arms was quite a respected name in the south east. They were originally a mustard yellow colour. Perfectly good pier or beach rod in its day. The reel seat was a good idea, the nut overlapped the sliding collar and with the wings on the nut you could wind it off. A lot of rods had two separate locking rings that clamped the sliding collar in place. Trouble was, they wouldn't un-clamp it, so you ended up banging it loose with a solid object.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Once I saw "Elastiglas" in one of the pics I knew what the rod is...it is a modern arms "castaway" from about 1966-7, it has a reverse-taper, the rod tapers from the winch towards both the tip and the end of the butt. It was an idea put forward by the late les Moncrieff to try to make casting easier with a multiplier. The rods were blown away by the introduction of the Abu 484 in 1968, and fast-tapers have ruled the roost sver since. Terry Carroll introduced a reverse-taper Zziplex about 1984, the "TT", I remember rebuilding one with a parallel carbon butt for an angler about 1989.

ptr

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:clap2:thanks guys for all the info,:thumbs: looks like the rod is as old as me, am still going to give it a go the next time i go out on the rocks
just to compare it with my newer fixed spool set ups i have just now.
you never know it might convert me a mutiplier set up

but first i have to get the reel sorted out, i know it cant be as old as the rod,but if it is an old reel do u think i can get the part to sort it out
like i said it works fine but would like the level wind to work cause if i get a fish on i dont think i would be able to use my thumb and reel in a fish at the same time

thanks again jerry

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Once I saw "Elastiglas" in one of the pics I knew what the rod is...it is a modern arms "castaway" from about 1966-7, it has a reverse-taper, the rod tapers from the winch towards both the tip and the end of the butt. It was an idea put forward by the late les Moncrieff to try to make casting easier with a multiplier. The rods were blown away by the introduction of the Abu 484 in 1968, and fast-tapers have ruled the roost sver since. Terry Carroll introduced a reverse-taper Zziplex about 1984, the "TT", I remember rebuilding one with a parallel carbon butt for an angler about 1989.

ptr

100% agree with Phil now that we have piccies.

Phil, was that not one of the prototype rods Les Moncrieff had built for his "lay back" style of casting??? As you know I`m into boat and bluewater so no expert on casting, think lay back was the style?? Might be called something else now.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
hi jerry.this is an old reel pity you dont live near lanarkshire as i would give you a reel and rod as you appear very keen to get into this sport.getting the spare part should be very easy just tel.daiwa sports at wishaw-tel.no-service/parts-08450 603 603.they are very helpfull or you could send it to them for a complete service.any problems pm me .

·
Registered
728 Posts
100% agree with Phil now that we have piccies.

Phil, was that not one of the prototype rods Les Moncrieff had built for his "lay back" style of casting??? As you know I`m into boat and bluewater so no expert on casting, think lay back was the style?? Might be called something else now.
It was indeed called the lay-back style. In the 60s we youngsters all tried to emulate it, especially after Les Moncrieff appeared on an episode of the TV program Out Of Town with Jack Hargreaves (anyone remember him?). It was the precise opposite of the Brighton cast I use now, with the lead swung away from the caster and laid on the ground beyond the rod top. In the starting position the butt was held high and the tip low so the rod pointed straight at the lead. We've come a long way since then, but I wonder if modern anglers and casters realize how much of a debt we owe to Mr Moncrieff for applying some science to our sport and popularizing a new casting style?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hi jerry.this is an old reel pity you dont live near lanarkshire as i would give you a reel and rod as you appear very keen to get into this sport.getting the spare part should be very easy just tel.daiwa sports at wishaw-tel.no-service/parts-08450 603 603.they are very helpfull or you could send it to them for a complete service.any problems pm me .
cheers m8, but i've already got 2 beachcaster(fixed spool) set ups
its just cause am off out on a boat this weekend, i bought a boat rod and reel(2nd hand) off ebay, and the reel seemed every small, so when i saw this rod and reel at the auction, i thought thats the kind of reel i need for my boat rod, and £7 later they were mine, i did'nt know the reel was broken till i got it in my hand. i'll give them a call in the morning and see if they can help me out

thank's again :thumbs:

yes Red, i remember Jack, cant remember that episode tho, it might be on youtube somewhere i'll have a look later

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
still on the hunt for one of these, the white plastic cog that works the level wind, would a tackle shop keep them, or is there else i could get one?
inside veiw of a daiwa sealine SL175H

cheers jerry
just thought i'd let you know i orderd the part today 39p for the idle cog,(22p for a spool tension spring and 9p for a wee spacer) so for the grand total of 70p + p&p the reel will be as good as new. the girl at daiwa sports in wishaw was a great help. the last 2 bit's got lost at the weekend when i was out on the boat, when the spool tension cap came off :banghead:

once again thanks :notworthy to all who helped me out with the parts and rod id:clap3:

jerry:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Googled elastiglas castaways and found this thread, a friend has 1 of these rods in mint condition left to him by a relative and he finally got it out of the attic a cpl weeks ago. Is it worth anything? He also has a reel think its a penn senator also mint it even has his name and date he got it engraved on the side!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts