World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sole Man!
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sand Beach Sea Sky Ecoregion
We don't celebrate Valentine's Day in our house, complete load of bollocks. We don't need cards to know we love each other but we do like to be out and about.
Haven't fished for 2 weeks because of schedules and folks being busy so we took the bull by the horns.
Claire the boys and I booked into the room above the surf cafe in Burry Port for a weekend of adventure. Claire dropped me off at Black point at 2;30 Saturday afternoon. It was a big tide so got a great look at the gulley. This is the first time I've been here in daylight.
Bait was an inch of frozen black tipped with a thumbnail of mackerel on size 4,s.
First cast on each rod resulted in a dab even though it looked like it was mainly fresh water flowing out.
Had a few very fierce bites with the lug being taken but not the mackerel so I started leaving the mackie off.

I had a little help from my boys settin up.
Water Shore Coast Recreation Vacation

An hour later I had another dab then as the tide started to flood, nothing, nada, not even a bite.
As darkness hit at 6pm so did the weed. Miles and miles of that bloody stringy grass stuff. Had to stop reeling and unclog my tip eye at least 3 times per reel in on each rod.very frustrating.
Decided to relocate around the corner and cast into the smaller nearer gulley. Still a serious rip with serious weed although I did blag another dab.
Gave up around 6:30 despite it being dark and lovely.
So 3 hours fishing, 4 dabs.
Love burry port!

Claire picked me up aroun 7 pm and then we carried on with our weekend. Today we scootered around the coastal path before heading into the breacons looking for snow.
Brolly xx

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Hi brolly I know where you are coming from with burry port. hence why we have a caravan there. I do hope them dabs hang around till mid march. As its when we open our van up for the season. Trouble is the crab start moving up into the estuaries then and worm baits won't hit the bottom.
Keith

·
Registered
249 Posts
View attachment 327394 We don't celebrate Valentine's Day in our house, complete load of *******s. We don't need cards to know we love each other but we do like to be out and about.
Haven't fished for 2 weeks because of schedules and folks being busy so we took the bull by the horns.
Claire the boys and I booked into the room above the surf cafe in Burry Port for a weekend of adventure. Claire dropped me off at Black point at 2;30 Saturday afternoon. It was a big tide so got a great look at the gulley. This is the first time I've been here in daylight.
Bait was an inch of frozen black tipped with a thumbnail of mackerel on size 4,s.
First cast on each rod resulted in a dab even though it looked like it was mainly fresh water flowing out.
Had a few very fierce bites with the lug being taken but not the mackerel so I started leaving the mackie off.

I had a little help from my boys settin up. View attachment 327402
An hour later I had another dab then as the tide started to flood, nothing, nada, not even a bite.
As darkness hit at 6pm so did the weed. Miles and miles of that bloody stringy grass stuff. Had to stop reeling and unclog my tip eye at least 3 times per reel in on each rod.very frustrating.
Decided to relocate around the corner and cast into the smaller nearer gulley. Still a serious rip with serious weed although I did blag another dab.
Gave up around 6:30 despite it being dark and lovely.
So 4 hours fishing, 4 dabs.
Love burry port!

Claire picked me up aroun 7 pm and then we carried on with our weekend. Today we scooters around the coastal path before heading into the breaches looking for snow.
Brolly xx
Well brolly, looks like great easy spot to fish from. Nice to here your back out and about

·
Sole Man!
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about poppers and floating beads Keith? They might lift the bait up off the bottom a bit. I know flounder will move off the bottom to feed, don't know if dabs will though?a

Reactions: thabassmaster

·
Registered
888 Posts
good report brolly....nice to see the young ones taking an interest too.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Well done Brolly, my favourite spot for the dabs is over the other side east of the caravan park (Broughton). Find it a bit too much of a walk now with the arthritis. John

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
What about poppers and floating beads Keith? They might lift the bait up off the bottom a bit. I know flounder will move off the bottom to feed, don't know if dabs will though?a
You may have a point there. Didn't even think of that tbh early last year I found a rig on the beach with poppers on it figures.could have been one of the locals set up. Mmmm food for thought. Cheers buddy. Ps 10 years ago I gave the other half some lovely cod fillets on valentines day. Its been a standing joke ever since. If todays sess at goldcliff was anything to go by she better get a recipe for gutted blows n blacks ha.
Keith

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Well done Brolly, good to know the dabs are still about. I am surprised it went dead when the tide started flooding, an hour after low is often the best time at that spot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts