World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Its several years since I fished here, and the shore has changed somewhat due to the shellfish culture that goes on here, but here goes...... As for most of the Menai strait, its predominantly a low water mark (and mainly shallow). Fish crab into the main channel for schoolies. If undisturbed, bass come into very shallow water here, and if you are very quiet and don't move/skyline (impossible for a match), freelined live prawn (carp rod, 10lb fluorocarbon, 2-4 hook, 1/2 oz drilled bullet) is an excellent way to get them. It can also be quite a rewarding place to fish poppers- both techniques work best of course on spring tides, early morning. There can be thousands of grey mullet around the old wooden jetty- but I doubt whether any would (could) be targeted in a match. But again, an interesting target for the brave and adventurous. To the left (facing up towards Felinheli) there is a shallow muddy bay with a small stream - there are flounders here (at HW). Further along (almost opposite Ferodos) there's a rocky limestone outcrop, which faces the incoming tide sweeping off the far side (Caernarvon) of the large sand island, a deeper gully/hole and quite a substantial kelp bed. This holds the inevitable myriads of doggies, some coalfish and pollack, codling, bass and amazingly, its somewhere where I've regularly caught bream from the shore. To the Mermaid side (right), is somewhere I haven't any experience of. Again, the nearest gully screams bass, and there may well be some plaice here. Hope this helps, but most of all, good luck. S

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Wasn't it won three years ago with triggerfish? Don't think the sea is warm enough this year yet for them but always a chance of a bream or 2.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry chiefbeef im not actually sure untill i get down there cos im staying at my mates all wk end,if i find out today il post and let you know,big

·
Registered
124 Posts
fishing 1pm-5pm signing in from 10am the tide is wrong for big bags of dogs this year the tide will have turned by the time the match starts so holding bottom will be hard after the first hour

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bounderies From Tal Y Foel Cottage To Plas Newydd Wall.book In At Brynsiencyn Community Centre From 10am.fish1pm Till 5pm.£10+£3 Pools For Heaviest Flat/round And Bass.100% Payout,everyone Who Catches Wins A Prize.big

1 - 20 of 21 Posts