World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would an empty 30mm bubble float support the same weight as a 25g rated conventional sea float or would it be necessary to use a 40mm bubble float?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Why don't you just make a mini rig and try in the bath or kitchen sink. That's what I do!
More fun than a rubber duck ;-)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dave but they're for a school holiday project and I need to order qty 30 from Veals tonight for delivery to Cornwall.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Would an empty 30mm bubble float support the same weight as a 25g rated conventional sea float or would it be necessary to use a 40mm bubble float?
Hey fella,

Just been playing silly buggers :busted_co

Tried a 50mm inline oval and 50mm round bubble and neither will take a 1oz weight (28ish gram) in sea water.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah! Thanks very much indeed HW; looks like it's back to the drawing board! Although hmmm what about two 50mm harnessed together?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've check-weighed the weights to be used and they are only 20g. I'm going to take a punt on a double order of the 40mm bubbles and will gang them together if needs be in the hope that this will suffice. Thanks all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mentioned the polystyrene eggs in another thread, twelve in a pack at Poundland, they sit nicely in the water with 25g hanging on them... must be cheaper than the bubbles

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you can't get larger floats then just downsize on the schoolkids.
Nursery kids are lighter and more attractive as shark bait anyway.

Shark-Clipart-Fi.jpg

Anyway, float fishing isn't as much fun as trolling for sharks.

Skiing.jpg

·
Registered
856 Posts
I mentioned the polystyrene eggs in another thread, twelve in a pack at Poundland, they sit nicely in the water with 25g hanging on them... must be cheaper than the bubbles
Lol, I was about to post about this, I thought I was the only one who had come up with it!
I use the BBQ skewers to push the hole through, then earbud cleaner things with the cotton wool removed to make a tube to thread your line through the float.
You can even use there PVC tape to put different colours on the top.
I've bought at least four packs now!

·
Registered
856 Posts
To make polystyrene omelette of course!

They sell them in packs of twelve in pound shops until Easter for kids to decorate instead of boiled eggs.

·
Registered
856 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol, I was about to post about this, I thought I was the only one who had come up with it!
I use the BBQ skewers to push the hole through, then earbud cleaner things with the cotton wool removed to make a tube to thread your line through the float.
You can even use there PVC tape to put different colours on the top.
I've bought at least four packs now!
their highlighter pens make them easy to see.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Gotta get in NOW. The rush will swamp them after this revelation.

For what it's worth make sure you keep them in a cold place.
The buggers hatch out if you aren't careful and it's not like you can eat them either.

Chicken.jpg

·
Registered
11,349 Posts
Why don't you just make a mini rig and try in the bath or kitchen sink. That's what I do!
More fun than a rubber duck ;-)
a few years ago now i actually made one of the kids rubber ducks into a float by glueing a plastic tube down through the middle of it.

got some strange looks down the local pier.

looked great though, a bright yellow rubber duck sitting amongst all the other floats. looked even better when a fish took it under.

getting back to bubble floats. i fill mine with white or clear silicone. once set it adds the weight you need and helps keep it afloat.

using a bucket at home you can keep adding some until it sits as you would like. get to the venue and they are already pre weighted. i do the same with bullrag floats.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts