World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is any body as soft as me , i go fishing with a freind he does not drive or own a car i take him fishing in my car and on a round trip of roughly 200miles he does not give me any money for fuel, he also smokes in my car (i am a non smoker) when we find a chippie he never has enough money for chips, and when i go pumping for bait or collecting crabs he never turn's up and the following day proceed's to use half of it. same with tackle if he has a crack off or a snag, have you got any leader or weight's. i could go on forever. because it is so enoying but i still take him am i soft or stupid. what are your view's.???????????????

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I think it`s very charitable of you :)

Lend us a tenner will you.
Better still,,come up to my house and drop it off.
Any chance of a few peeler,wouldn`t want you to have a wasted journey :D

Joking apart...it sounds like your mate :rolleyes: is taking the p**s.
Have a word!!!!

·
Banned
132 Posts
but your dads a old man, he did take you to places when you where young.

not your old man then can i come and stay for a week ,eat your food ,use your fishing tackle and drink your beer.

if i was you i look for a angling club (victoria pair has one) or some one else to take (it may only take a few time this lad may come around ) Ive just seen where you come from and there should be loads of lads around there willing to chip in with you (id be willing to let you show me how to fish mostin in the winter).

as for the dad bit my old man dose the same to me .
;)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
hi joe, im with terry on that one. have a word mate and tell him to sort it out and pull his weight.

oh, and hang no smoking signs in your car....

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Joe

Please tell this mate you don't want smoking in the car, I smoke and think it is really bad to force everyone else in the car to smell my smoke, you stop a few times on the trip let smoke then not in the car....

If I am been given a trip out any where I will chip in something for the petrol, parking, chips or anything else that we might need!! I know that If I didn't there might be a chance That person would never take me again! This saturday Ian, is coming to collect me for the chesil beach comp...I have all ready said I will dig the worms and collect some other bait as well, plus put some petrol in the tank(well its not quite a tank..Yet) for him. I sure wouldn't feel right If I didn't.....

Next time he gives you nothing leave his gear bt the car before you leave him to get his own way home!!

G

·
Joe, I can sympathise with you. Although, I am lucky in that all my fishing friends who come in my car do help out. I even one heavy smoker who hangs out of the window to have a ***. There is no problem in them helping out with fuel costs. I even have an extra driver if I need a break. You could say I am lucky or that I just laid the law down on the begining. As you are the driver of the car, you are captain of the ship. This may sound harsh but why not lay the law down to him?? You might be pleasantly surprised! Sometimes you have to be very straight to the pont.

Again, I am lucky in that one of fishing partners, his dad owns a tackle shop!

Just tell him straight, as the saying goes, "the truth sometimes hurts"! How would he go fishing without your kind nature??

With regard to fishing tackle, I am as generous as the next angler but, he seems to be takiing the p***. Be harsh, you will not regret it, he will most probably have a moan but start charging him for the weights etc and he will soon get the message that the free ride is now over!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
tell him once, do not tell him again. if he is worht his salt he will understand the first time. how do you think i feel , last time i took someone fishing i lost a tent and they caught the only fish on my rod and then it bloody snapped on me :)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Now you have got me going :mad:

Know exactly where you are coming from. I get a phone call, "can you take me out on the boat on Tuesday, I have the day off and fancy a day bassing" I wasn't going to go Tuesday but OK I take them out on the boat, it uses 6 gallons an hour, a typical days fishing will be £80 in fuel. I have brewed up for them, they used my rods, snag bottom, loose weights and rigs, and they have used 100 live eels and 50 crab out of the tank whilst they are fishing. They say 'I want to give you something for fuel' OK says I, thanks, They get a fiver out. Think about it, that is 10 crab at the bait shop, 25 live eel at the bait shop, 3 shrimp rigs, 3 coffees in a brew shop. The launch at the slipway costs £10 in the first place.

I like the ones who want to chip in for petrol but on their way spent up in the tackle shop so they will send me a cheque. They never say when so I am not dissapointed when it doesn't arrive.

Then there are the ones who book the caravan, ask me to get bait in for them, ring up to say they will be here at **pm and did I get the 100 peeler and 200 eels and then don't turn up. Then there are those that book the van and don't turn up cos the weather is cr*p, without even the courtesy of a phone call

Then there are the ones who ring at 4am cos their trailer has collapsed and they know I have the bearings to fix it. I turn out and get them mobile again. I don't expect them to pay immediately, they probably don't have the cash on them but I personally would make it a prority to send a cheque, after all a low loader would not recover it without payment on the spot. Obviously some people have different morals.

I am slowly getting to the stage where I will not take anyone out again, it really is starting to wind me up.

I would rather have your mate who gives you nothing, I would just bin him after the first trip. Those that have taken the P*** out of me in the past do not come again, they find the van is booked up or I am not taking the boat out or I dont have the bearings, spare tyre etc. They have taken it once but they will not get a second chance.

End of rant. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I need one of my chill pills now, all your fault Joe.

G

·
That is where I am lucky, I have very good mates. One, if my car does break down he will take me fishing at very short notice. I have the type of friends who WILL offer the correct amount, pay their fair share of bait, fuel, toll costs etc. I am very lucky as they don't take the pi**

G

·
Yep you are right, I do feel sorry for him that he has been taken for a ride by a so called "friend", as far as I am concerned friends do not do that!

·
Registered
30 Posts
dont take him any more, and look for new buddie, make it clear from start what you want, i think all costs should be shared equal, unless you invited them of course,
as for you at chisel, beers on me, on sat charity bash

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
I dont know how long your m8 has been fishing so I don't know if he was like me. When I started I was given a rod, reel, weights etc by my Uncle. Each time I've been out with him I would come back with more rigs and weights than I started with. Only now do I know of the true cost of these items. On the last trip I was with him when he bought the bait we were using. I couldn't believe the cost yet he wouldn't let me pay a penny. The only way I could repay was later in the evening when we all went for a meal I managed to get hold of the bill and settle it before he could.
What I'm trying to say is that he might think that he is doing you a favour keeping you company on these trips rather you doing him a favour.
Or he might be just a rip off merchant.
You know him best so you decide.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Indeed most selfish people who act like that don't even realise thay are doing it.
At the risk of pissing him off I would have a word.
My mate always drives us when we fish together and as a thankyou I always stand the bait bill, its just common courtesy.
Bin him

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hi folks,
This is a common problem for boat owners especially. No crew means no trip, so it feels bad to turn around and then ask for a few quid towards costs as well. particularly so when you've rung everyone on the list and you KNOW you had no-one else to take. On the other hand, as Chris P points out, there's a shed-load of hidden costs and several days graft behind a day trip, especially on a trailed boat. I'd reckon I burn over £60 up front per trip in fuel, fees and bait, more like £90 if you factor in insurance and servicing as well. I spend the day before and the day after sorting out the mess and testing the patience of the Missus to the limit.
So now I'm shameless about asking for cash from those who don't have the manners to offer. Usually its only 15 quid anyway, fraction of a charter boat fee but it takes the sting off the day for me and my poor wallet. I've seen visiting skippers try to give me way too much, which they were politely given back. I've also been told by one crew that I was a bit pricey and he couldn't afford to come very often at that rate. Easy problem to solve - he ain't been since :D
While we're ranting at the hapless crew, there's a few other bits of etiquette that will make you a lot more popular. First, offer to help and keep offering. I for one am more than happy to let someone share the anchor hauling, fish gutting and most especially the deck scrubbing when we get home. Helpful, capable crew go to the top of the phone list. Don't moan - if the day's gone badly the skipper feels a damn sight worse about it than you do. I don't care much whether I've caught a lot so long as my crew have and they're happy, long faces wreck my day. Finally, don't trash the boat. There's nothing like some careless bozo letting a 1lb lead smack into the outboard with every wave to raise the blood pressure :mad:
That was fun, I should moan more often :rolleyes:

Steve

·
Registered
767 Posts
Just read your post, very interesting indeed. Just present him with an invoice at the next outing.......... see if he gets the message. sign him up to the super worldseafishing and point him in the direction of this thread.

I used to go fishing witha couple of guys and we used to share the lot, fuel, bait, sandwich's (only because my mate missus made wicked butties), and none of us would think twice about giving the other what ever bits of tackle they needed on the day, as i know if i needed some shock leader or a rig or what ever they would not hesitate to give it to me.

On a more serious note just be polite about it and say it would you mind if we share the costs as it is costing you xxx amount of pounds on fuel etc. he will either say yes or no. if he says no go on your own or find another fishing bud.

good luck and hope your friendship is a strong one.

:)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
When I go fishing I go on my own, I enjoy doing my own thing and having the freedom of the boat,the boat is set up so I can launch myself and stay out as long as I like.

These are people who have asked me to take them fishing on their days off. The tide or weather may not be the best but if I have said I will take them I do.

Cost to me, never sat down to work it out, but.......

boat engines, kit, £30k, insurance £300/year, fuel for 1 trip £60-£100, launch fee £10, bait sandeels 10 for £2, crab 50p each Flares every 3 years £130. Tackle, rods, reels, servicing 2 engines and trailer, Big engine is £200 a year. Don't want to think about it any more. It is winding me up even more

:eek:

I take people out cos I get a buzz out of seeing them catch a good fish, the Dad who brings his lad and he gets a good fish is priceless. I enjoy the challenge of them naming their species and I put the boat in the right place. I do not do it for a living, but like everyone else I do not appreciate having the urine extracted when they asked in the first place.

End of, move on to happy thoughts. THE THREAD :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts