World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
I've seen mullet take chips near the takeaways at Swanage; and a lady catching mullet near the Town Bridge in Weymouth using bits of chips.

·
Registered
12,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol...well me for one would love to see anyone with ready access to the sea try it out and post some pics of any type of fish caught on chips..:eek:
i gotta stop this or I'm going to start thinking this is a good idea, city smog is starting to make me go a bit loopy me thinks.:confused: I need to fishing and get some sea air.

G

·
The chip shops used to throw their end of day unsold chips and sweepings into the sea when they closed, I've seen it at Swanage and at West Bay.
It would be remarkable if nothing took advantage of regular free food.
Despite what bait sellers will tell you, fish are not fussy eaters.
I've seen mullet take bubblegum and tangerine peel, they do it to annoy me I know, but they do eat all sorts of things ( other than what you use at the time as a bait )

When the warmer weather comes and there's a good stock of wrasse under the pier I intend to spend a day seeing just what they will take, I'm certain that they will take just about anything that we think of as edible ( obviously not brocolli as I don't think its edible ) perhaps I should say what I think is edible.

·
Registered
12,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't eat broccoli either. Just wrong.. .I do like your idea of trying other types of unusual bait tho. Would be real funny to see anglers pics of fish caught on mad baits. Bait suppliers and £1 a peeler merchants might not think it's funny tho. So if any of you catch on unconventional baits then please do share. .i for one am going to have a go when I can escape the smog:confused:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Fancied a quick float session once but not having any bait thought I'd use earth worms as I know they work ok for wrasse, pout, pollack and the like. Whilst digging some I found a few slugs and thought 'they're supposed to be a good chub bait, I wonder if they'd work in the sea?'. Nope, apparently not, horrible big slimy gristly things, nothing touched them.

·
Registered
12,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
not suprised..horrible things..
i was thinking of trying mad stuff for instance like the pepperami .".it's a bit of an animal" stuff .. nice and oily with some scent, or anything 'meaty'.
A freshwater fisherman i work with has caught mullet on sweetcorn.
never know until you try i suppose.

·
Banned
8,292 Posts
Some years ago we were replacing a wooden walkway across a freshwater reservoir to the outlet tower and on removing the old wood and cleaning the rust off the frame work, the rust would drop into the reservoir and the fish would swarm under to eat the stuff.
I would not have liked to fell in, i bet they would have ate us!

·
Registered
15,514 Posts
I have had mullet on Bread, Earthworms, Maggots, bits of Pork Pie, bits of Cornish Pasty, so there is no reason to think they would turn their noses up at a nice bit of chip.
A friend once caught a Tench on a bit of Tomato, and I have a mate who uses sliced Liver and sliced Braising steak bits to catch Whiting and Codling.

To be honest,apart from Mullet, I would not bother with "strange " baits for saltwater species, there are always exceptions though... see below.

http://www.southwestseafishing.co.uk/alternative-baits/

Dave

G

·
Years ago (not that many actually) Hopes Nose at Torquay had a raw sewage outlet ............ we used to get a lot of floaters coming out through there and a few times I have seen quite big Bass come up and take a floating turd .................. it also used to fish well for bream, right at the sewer outlet, although the smell was bad enough to keep session quite short !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts