World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where have they gone? All cut up into smaller lengths and sold as shock leader material at premium prices perhaps?

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks meanstreak.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Spools of 60lb mono are a prime contender for my unofficial support your local tackle dealer campaign. If it works out that the cheap stuff on-line after postage is added works out about the same price as the local shop are charging for just the line then I might go with the local shop all other things being equal. Small and light but thick are usually relatively expensive to post (this annoyed me greatly when I was trading on eBay) - things like loose hooks, swivels, clips, rigs etc fit in an envelope and it makes more sense to buy them on-line as the postage is much less.

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
Spools of 60lb mono are a prime contender for my unofficial support your local tackle dealer campaign. If it works out that the cheap stuff on-line after postage is added works out about the same price as the local shop are charging for just the line then I might go with the local shop all other things being equal. Small and light but thick are usually relatively expensive to post (this annoyed me greatly when I was trading on eBay) - things like loose hooks, swivels, clips, rigs etc fit in an envelope and it makes more sense to buy them on-line as the postage is much less.
depends very much on how much petrol you have to burn getting to the local, what the parking costs, what a parking ticket costs if you have to take a risk on the double yellows .... and if they are open when you get there. Also much depends on most people being able to get there during opening hours.

Mate of mine took a couple hours off work to go get some shopping the other day locally ..... he could have earnt more in half an hour than it would have cost in time and delivery charges to get the stuff online and dropped off at home on the same evening.

To be honest I hate this online/offline rubbish - support GOOD suppliers irrispective of the fact of which medium they use to sell. Good "locals" don't need any anti-web campaign to flourish .... they will survive just fine if they provide a good service and are competent at business.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Black Dog but what is your postage on a £1.75 spool of line? I don't need a dozen to make the on line deal worthwhile and my local shops don't keep it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
depends very much on how much petrol you have to burn getting to the local, what the parking costs, what a parking ticket costs if you have to take a risk on the double yellows .... and if they are open when you get there. Also much depends on most people being able to get there during opening hours.

Mate of mine took a couple hours off work to go get some shopping the other day locally ..... he could have earnt more in half an hour than it would have cost in time and delivery charges to get the stuff online and dropped off at home on the same evening.

To be honest I hate this online/offline rubbish - support GOOD suppliers irrispective of the fact of which medium they use to sell. Good "locals" don't need any anti-web campaign to flourish .... they will survive just fine if they provide a good service and are competent at business.
I buy much of my stuff on-line - the point I'm making is that if it's making no difference to my pocket and (of course - goes without saying) it's convenient I may or may not choose to spend that money in a local tackle shop - a GOOD one of course - I don't shop in bad shops more than once whether local shop or on-line.... and thanks but no "online/offline rubbish" or "anti-web campaigns" here; just a canny buyer who weighs up the options and likes having a local shop; and I did also point out that some items lend themselves to economical mail order better than others.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Where have they gone? All cut up into smaller lengths and sold as shock leader material at premium prices perhaps?
I think your right m8, I struggle locally to find bulk spools of clear heavy stuff for Leaders, so still having to buy the heavy stuff in those silly 50m spools.

Was told that Tecklon gold was ok as a fishing leader in the heavy strength, though its £16 for 300m, I can get it locally! not tried it yet but works out cheaper for me than buying small spools.
Hope you find some

lighty

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

Update on that - after a string of bad experiences recently at three different local tackle shops I'm close to giving up on them altogether. There are things that they should have an advantage over online in such as, for example, trying a few different sizes of coasters to see which best suits but they can't even manage that - waste of time, petrol and a tunnel fare too. In stark contrast to this string of tackle shop disappointments my online purchases continue to go swimmingly. I try to support local businesses but if they can't be bothered why should I.

:sad2:

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
Not exactly bulk but this stuff is good and comparatively cheap for 200 meters (better than buying 50 meters)
You could also consider daiwa sensor in 60lb but its a bit thick and wirey.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts