World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I've been told by a few tackle shops in Bristol there is going to be a shortage of squid in the next few months. Sam's bait's is getting his from Japan so going to take some time to get to us. Other suppliers are having trouble too. Sounds like the squid ground have been over fished by commericals.
So I,ve got a few extra box's in freezer. Thought I give you the heads up. Has anyone else been told this or do you think it's a ploy to get us to buy more bait?

Cheers BB.

·
Registered
10,696 Posts
If the overfishing the squid bit is true it will be a kick up the jacksie for the scientist who claimed that because of the lack of fish (caused by overfishing) the squid were taking over the oceans.

·
Registered
15,743 Posts
Just been to Chi Yips Chinese supermarket in Manchester, their 1lb boxes have gone up 40p each to £1.85 each since my last visit about 2 months ago, but there were plenty available.
I always have a good stock in my bait freezer, but bought another 5 lb block just in case... the 5lb block works out £1.75p cheaper than 5 individual 1lb boxes....I just split them and freeze them in packs of 6 squid, less waste that way.

Dave

G

·
Oh well .............. maybe they should have a 6 month squid ban C&R only ............... with a 1 bag limit for the following 6 months .............. where have I heard this before .........:rolleyes::p:D

·
Registered
130 Posts
The last time there was a big El Nino event in the Pacific it caused a shortage as it moved the Californian Calamari type squid further offshore and combined with bad weather made landings smaller than usual.
Now that we have squid in various forms from India,China,The Falklands and UK I don't think it will be such a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.