World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there such a fitting for going through a bulkhead to plumb a bilge pump?

i need to run my main bilge pump through a bulkhead and in to the sump at the rear of the boat and up and exit by a normal skin fitting.

something like my drawing

343 Posts
343 Posts

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the first link may work.

i need to get a bilge pump hose on either side of it. the hose is 29mm id

i did think about a stainless thread tube and 2 nuts to fit tube would do the job but its finding the tube some where local to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would it not be easier just putting another skin fitting in that compartment and running a pump just for that one compartment, if pump fails in sump water will be able run back through the bulk head fitting and exit your front compartment pump i did my charter boats so all bulkheads were water tight as poss

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would it not be easier just putting another skin fitting in that compartment and running a pump just for that one compartment, if pump fails in sump water will be able run back through the bulk head fitting and exit your front compartment pump i did my charter boats so all bulkheads were water tight as poss
i don't want any water from sump to go under the deck.

i want to keep both parts separate from each other.

i may end up using a stainless threaded tube and 2 big nuts to fit it in place and connect the hose to either side of that if i can find a threaded tube the size i need.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Maybe a 'tank coupling' would suit? You could extend either side with copper pipe and a compression fitting.

Search Screwfix Plumbing section for 'Tank Coupling' for examples. Sorry can't seem to attach the link

There are others available from Plumbing suppliers

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers for the suggestions guys.

i have found a piece of marine grade ally pipe the correct size to fit the bilge hose so im thinking of drilling hole and bonding the pipe in on a bit of grp bonding paste. that will hold it place firmly and seal up the joint as well.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
the first link may work.

i need to get a bilge pump hose on either side of it. the hose is 29mm id
That sounds like a pretty big hose for the job Garry? What size pump are you going to use?

Might find some fittings at your local pond shop mate, they use all sorts on the fancy koi setups.

I could machine you something up in Acetal but it is a bit more brittle than a moulded fitting would be.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
cheers for the suggestions guys.

i have found a piece of marine grade ally pipe the correct size to fit the bilge hose so im thinking of drilling hole and bonding the pipe in on a bit of grp bonding paste. that will hold it place firmly and seal up the joint as well.
Is there much point in cutting and joining the pipe if you are doing that? How about bonding a piece of tube into the bulkhead that the pipe will fit snugly inside and then sikaflexing the pipe inside that? Could make you something up with an outer flange on it to do that if it helps.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there much point in cutting and joining the pipe if you are doing that? How about bonding a piece of tube into the bulkhead that the pipe will fit snugly inside and then sikaflexing the pipe inside that? Could make you something up with an outer flange on it to do that if it helps.

Just a thought.
i got a new 1100 gph pump for half price and its got a 29mm outlet on it hence why the fitting needs to be quite big.

all i was going to do was drill 29mm hole through bulkhead and bond it in place with bonding paste and then attach the hose either side of it. job done.

won't be the prettiest job but will work fine.

if i do a drawing and pm it to you and you could make it that would be great.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Go for it, might not get done this week as we are orf trouting tomorrow but will get it done for you early next week. If you want to have it male/male with a flange to screw or bond to the bulkhead that won't take long to knock up.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Go for it, might not get done this week as we are orf trouting tomorrow but will get it done for you early next week. If you want to have it male/male with a flange to screw or bond to the bulkhead that won't take long to knock up.
i'll pm you a pic ok.

you'll get the idea of it i think. its threaded one side with a nut to bolt it up to bulkhead and just a male on the other side to take a hose.

the threaded side can also take a hose up to the skin fitting in the hull.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts