World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys ok im gettin confused, i dont see any difference in a bull huss and a dog fish apart from they are bigger. but i want to know if you havent got the scales with you how you tell which is which?
katiexxxx

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
have a look at
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/,
the difference is in the nasal flaps (seperate flaps on the bull huss).
The Huss generally has an attitude problem, not like the gentle dogfish, and usually tries to bite your arm off. It has larger teeth so can bite quite effectively.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
hey guys ok im gettin confused, i dont see any difference in a bull huss and a dog fish apart from they are bigger. but i want to know if you havent got the scales with you how you tell which is which?
katiexxxx

A dog fish will growl at you.
A bull huss will charge at you,
oh yes it will have horns too!
Dont wear red though!!!!:g:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
the middle fin on the back of a doggy doesnt line up with the one below they are offset, where as on the huss the middle of the top one line to the back of the bottom one, saw this on a dvd recently, cleared things up for me plus the spots are bigger, hope this helps

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bull Huss...Greater Spotted Dogfish, Nurse Hound.....Scyliorhinus Stellaris

Grows to about 162 cm. Shore record is 19lb 14oz and the boat record is 22lb 4 oz

The upper and underside of the body is pale or dark brown and appears to be mottled, as is covered with a series of small and large black (sometimes white) spots and the under side tends to be paler in colour. Nasal flaps are seperate and are not continuous with the upper lip. Origin (start) of dorsal fins above / forward of the rear margins of the pelvic and anal fins.

Unlike the Lesser spotted dogfish (LSD) Small spotted catshark, Scyliorhinus Canicular

Grows up to about 80cm in UK waters but 100cm elsewhere. Shore record is 4lb 15oz and the boat is 4lb 6oz

Upper side of the body usually light brown covered with darker spots, although some sharks will be darker and occasionally shown quite defined saddle markings. May occasionally have a smattering of white spots.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey guys thanx so much, jon boy i am pretty b*ggered with not wearing red because my floatation suit is red, damn!
but honestly thanx for pointing out the difference's, could you also tell me why some have green eys and others have brown???
katiexxxx

·
Registered
936 Posts
I don't bother with the color of their eyes [ I don't find them that attractive anyway] but for a quick check I go by the feel of their skin. I have found that the skin on a Bull Huss is less abrasive than a Doggie....for example if a Doggie was 60 grit... then a Bully would be about 180 grit but makes this up with its teeth.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
hey guys thanx so much, jon boy i am pretty b*ggered with not wearing red because my floatation suit is red, damn!
but honestly thanx for pointing out the difference's, could you also tell me why some have green eys and others have brown???
katiexxxx

I have found most doggies have brown eyes which under a headlamp are bright yellow but not green, but there again i have not really paid much attention to their eyes.:giveup:

·
Registered
276 Posts
bottom line is that if it`s a decent huss you will know it...it`s f*** all like a doggie really and if it`s the same size (hence the confusion) then it ain`t worth shouting about anyway!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
katiexxxx
good question m8 all i can say from experiance is that bull huss bite ive never had a doggy go 4 me like a bull huss and ive caught hundreds of doggys like every1 else have i might be wrong but thats my personal opinion:g: TIGHT LINES M8

1 - 14 of 14 Posts