World Sea Fishing Forums banner

bull huss traces

6K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  freddie the fish 
#1 ·
can any one tell me what is the best rig for catching bull huss from the shore, bait, size hooks, and what breaking strain please. thanks

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I prefer a running paternoster as it allows a the fish to move off without the resistance of a stuck lead. If fishing 2 or 3 rods then use different size hooks/baits as huss can sometimes be finicky, dropping bigger baits before you get the chance to strike, or spitting them on the surface:yucky:

A 6/0 hook with half a large fillet or whole small fillet of mackerel, or mackerel/squid combo is usually a good bet. Always worth putting a smaller bait out with a 4/0 hook and say 1/3 fillet of mackerel, as you may get more hook-ups plus it will allow you to cast a bit further to cover more ground (distance is not usually necessary over heavy ground though). It may also be worth putting a larger bait out on a 7/0 or 8/0 hook, e.g. a whole joey mackerel body, herring or big squid mackerel combo, especially when fishing a mark which produces some decent conger. I generally use either 100 or 150lb trace, dropping to 60lb if using smaller hooks (which by the way tend to result in more lip-hooked conger anyway).

Have had huss over 12lb on mixed ground on 18lb mainline and 2/0 hook to 50lb trace (doggie gear) especially when using a few glow beads above the bait (top tip for huss:secret: ). I woud never use mainline under 30lb over solid heavy ground though, what's the point, especially if you are using the same rod anyway... plus if you allow the fish to take line you increase your chances of losing it.:blink:
cheers ruff ground for that, i shall put it into practice.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
yes no probs mark will give the line to wifey to give to les you got to keep on to me mate memry is shocking
cheers top man, looking at going out somewhere late next week, can u say a prayer for me as i`m getting despondant and need a bit of luck from somewhere, and what better than coming from a legend such as urself:clap3:

Discussion starter · #16 ·
going for ray the weekend ,got to fish the league what a ball acker that is ,if you want to go give us a shout bit of long way down dont know what you are like on a rope,if it anything like the last time i took you it will be a disaster ha ha ,or if not going for a mullet on the sunday dont know if you fancy that
i`ll give u a bell on that one top man, never fished for mullet b4 so i`ll probably have 2 get some gear 4 it i reckon, i`ll ring tomorro if ur in and u can give me a few tips, if i go fishing with u again and you dont catch anything feel free to strap lead round me ankles and throw me in, as i`m begining to think i am that jinx! :giveup: cheeeeers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.