World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to a local rocky mark at first light, had a couple of follows from 1 small bass and 1 pollock on a tide minnow, but no fish.
Nearby there were a 2 bouys which seamed to have a line of about 10smaller rugby shaped floats connected to them. I don't know whether they were crab pots or gillnets. I could not see any other buoys in the distance which may indicate the other end of the gillnet, or is it that the gillnet is so long that the other end is out of sight.
Does anyone know about gillnets and was I wasting my time fishing there

·
Registered
848 Posts
Went down to a local rocky mark at first light, had a couple of follows from 1 small bass and 1 pollock on a tide minnow, but no fish.
Nearby there were a 2 bouys which seamed to have a line of about 10smaller rugby shaped floats connected to them. I don't know whether they were crab pots or gillnets. I could not see any other buoys in the distance which may indicate the other end of the gillnet, or is it that the gillnet is so long that the other end is out of sight.
Does anyone know about gillnets and was I wasting my time fishing there
Sounds like a gill net to me. Pots usually have one or two bouys on the same rope marking either a single pot or the end of a string of pots in my experience. The fact there were a line of smaller floats suggest these are holding the top of the net. One of my favourite local marks has been ruined by a gill net, so maybe worth considering another spot if things remain difficult.
It has been suggested by someone far more knowledgeable than me that it is not just the fish it catches but the scare factor for other fish detecting trapped and stressed fish cuaght in the net. Not sure of this is the case but it sounds plausible and would explain the dearth of fish on what was one of our better marks.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Sounds like a float line between the buoys, but it'd be a tiny end of net if there were only 10 corks?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think the 2 buoys that I could see were connected, so I'm a bit baffled, but I couldn't see any other bouys around so I could't work out how long the net was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts