World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone this is my first post so don't be harsh. anyway, i was away with my girlfriend in aberaeron south Wales and for an afternoon i went fishing off the harbour where i was told there was good doggies to be caught. my girlfriend bored decided to dangle her old crab catcher off the side. about ten minutes later she pulled up what looked like an eel (to my amazement0. then on closer inspection i wasnt so sure this was a regular conger eel due to green spots on it, especialy over its belly and its considerable girth although it was barely over a foot long. ok to cut a long story short ive gone through a few fishing ecyclopedia's and all i can say that the fish it most resembled was a burbot (eelpout) which is supposedly extinct over here and only lives in fresh water anyways.

any help?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Martin, sorry I can`t be of any help about the burbot? but welcome to WSF.
Did you get any photo`s. If so ,post them on here and we`ll try our best for you.
All the best,
Terry F.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it was a lot smaller (about a 1lb in weight) and was much darker. do you think im barking up the wrong tree?

also there were no photo's as my girlfriend was squeeming and bugging me to put it back in the sea....regretful

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
i'm only going on what u said, but the closest looking thing in the sea likely to be caught like that is th rockling, but it would have to be close to the reckord at the size u said.
Tozer

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tozer said:
i'm only going on what u said, but the closest looking thing in the sea likely to be caught like that is th rockling, but it would have to be close to the reckord at the size u said.
Tozer
that depends on which rockling of course. sounds like a shore rockling to me though, which just happens to be the best fish ive caught weighing in at just under 2.5lb

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
i didn't know rockling could get that big, i've caughtthem to about 10" long (about 8oz) i didn't think they could get much bigger than that.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
"green spots on it, especialy over its belly and its considerable girth"

Hm? This description seems familiar, and it was obviously attracted to attractive young women? Now who could that have been doing some underwater research in South Wales?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts