World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Global Moderator
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two things in life that are certain. One is birth. The other is whiting.

Today 4 intrepid fools stepped aboard the leg end that is Fair Chance in a quest for Shirls dream factory....Cod or no cod...aka Dungeness bay.

A few cod had been caught by brave crews in the proceeding few days...up to 14lb, but this was early, very early in fact, usually we'd be out still chasing bream and bass on the wrecks, but the call had been made and cod hunting in the bay it was.

We dropped anchor no more than a mile from shore, half way down the bank that runs from Dungeness east for several miles. I could clearly see the roof of my house and the milkman arriving a little earlier than usual.

As we settled in the tide, a solomn silence decended. Jerry emerged from the wheelhouse and with a tear in his eye and a quivering bottom lip, he gently lowered panny into the water. Panny had been a loyal and caring pan but all pans come to an end of their days and this day was pannys.

The grease of a thousand sausages kept her afloat and she drifted off slowly in the easing ebb tide. The sun was still rising in the eastern sky and she magnificently sailed into the sun rise, a slick of magnificent proportions trailing behind her.

A minutes silence and hooks were baited and gently lowered into the new Gulf of Dungeness environmental disaster.

Panny and her final moments:

The boat record for the Fair Chance for cod in the bay in September was 7 cods. Today gentlemen (ladies, lords and children), we caught 10 cod (ling). The best a cracking fish of just over 17lb which fell to the rod of DJ Brooks. he followed this with another 2 stockies up to 5lb. Dan and Shirl managed one codling each whilst my own lucky rods sneaked out 5 codling between 3lb and 6lb.

Of course there were lots of whiting and a few dogfish.

As we came ashore we all said a prayer....not for dear Panny, but to the wind gods. We prayed for the winds to blow from the South west and bring the food and coloured water into the bay because ladies, Lords and fishermen, if they do, there will be cods in them thare seas.

The boys ashore:

A fine day in fine company. Happy birthday Mr Oiller.

Tight lines fellas,

GS.

xx

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nice report fella

RIP panney he SHED never be forgotten!!

Ade

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
One can see a pan thread in ye making

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The 'prospect' sounds good however I guess it will be just a 'flash in the pan' idea :blink: :thumbs:
Be thee warned oh master of pie buying instruction. Thee who instructeth future brotherhood of those in ye wind of ye art o ye cafe. One has a shed load of ideas hatching on this one already.

·
Registered
26,863 Posts
Was it wise to drop a frying pan into the sea? Frying pans give fish bad vibes, I’ve never known a fish that enjoyed meeting one. Imagine if the Grim Reaper was dropped off in Folkestone High Street… people would run for cover. Don’t blame me if Dungeness Bay becomes devoid of fish.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Nice foto Si and a great panorama mate. I wonder where the poor thing will end up ? maybe the panama canal, still dont panic, sit back, relax and listen to the pan pipes.

·
Registered
650 Posts
It was one sausage too much for the frypan when a hole, she did appear,
Its useful days were over, no more fryups, was all too clear.
The mouths of anglers were satisfied and bellies filled each year,
But a pan with a hole is far from good, hey Si, hold back that tear.
If it had ears, what would it have heard, of a missed bite or a break,
This cod catching game is high profile, theres such a lot at stake.
But it would of witnessed the sweetest sound that makes the angels sing,
'Oh my coddy darling', not, 'Another effin' ting'.
Its so beautiful, so heart warming, such a lovely thing,
Its the lullaby of a bearded god, its the song of Shirley Codling.
Whiting fish are attracted too, sorry Shirl, you needed to know,
They be ever present at Dunge, and move around as every tide do flow.
But hopefully now, old Fishy Whiskers will be hungry and looking for lunch,
and Mr Oiler will load up his George Foreman as the anglers seek their lunch.

x

Well done boys, good start to our fav time of the year. Hey Alex are you just a little bit 'damp'.......mmmm :bleh::bleh::clap2::clap2::clap3::clap3::clap3:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts