World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever fish Burnmouth, either the harbour or from the rocks towards Eyemouth? Looking for some tips for a trip this June.
Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
hi dachshund...

welcome to the site. I unfortunately have never been down that way myself but I'm sure if someone here has you will find out. :)

good luck to ya mate... ;)

Cheers,

Shad.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Only ever fished it from the boat but as the rest of that coast fishes well I don't see why it should be any different. Try lug, crab and mussel, find a gulley and I'm sure you'll find fish.
Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've fished the harbour mouth before with very light tackle for small coalies and shanny, okay for a species hunt or to keep the kids happy for an hour or so.
To be honest I have not fished the rocks immediately north of the harbour at Burnmouth as access is very difficult and dangerous, the nearer Eyemouth you get the easier access becomes, in fact it would be best to approach the area from Eyemouth accross the golf course and find a suitable stance from the rocks, you can expect codling and coalies on peeler crab and you might get the odd pollack. Mackerel will appear some time around the end of June so you may be lucky there. Marks nearer Burnmouth are the gulleys to the south of the harbour, go down at low tide and find the weediest looking gulleys the more kelp the better and cast right into the thick of it. Expect to lose gear but the odd red codling could be the prize if you are in a productive gulley. The only bait worth using is peeler crab the bigger the better.You will be able to collect your own in June from around the rocks at Burnmouth. Bait can be hard to puchase in this area allthough you can usually buy farmed ragworm from the local tackle shops.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again. Thanks for the replies. I know the rocks to the North very well, and access would not really be a problem in this case, but I've never seen them fished. It may mean winching any catch (and kelp) a fair way up though.
Alan, do you reckon I should be fishing on the lower ebb of the tide then? I am prepared for the tackle losses. I also have access to a small boat, so may drift out maybe 80 to 100yds or so over these reefs, dangling a line. Since I am not an experienced boatsman, this requires the stillest possible seas, and very fine weather. Only tried it once before, took wrasse and coley, plus a very small codling, all on rag. Mainly wrasse though, so I imagine a switch of bait is in order to shake them off. Had trouble with a seal swimming around the boat though, presumably scaring off anything in range.

Was also thinking of trying spinning near eyemouth golf course, for pollack etc, while having a bait rod chucked out on the off chance. Anyone tried this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Could be worth a try to the North of Burnmouth as like you I have never seen anyone fishing there so any resident red codling will be there for the taking.
Can recommend carrying a spinning rod while bait fishing around the golfcourse as there should be some good pollack around by June and it keeps you busy between casts on the bait rod. There has been 1 or 2 caught from the boats around this area that I know about allready. I tried a spot of fly fishing from the rock marks around the golf course last weekend but was unsuccessful, I was hoping for some small coalies or a pollack but never had a touch. Hopefully things will pick up soon.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello again. My bait rod is a piece of ****, basically, bought a rod'n'reel bundle early days when I knew no better. So I can't get that much of a cast out, maybe 60 yards to 70 yards. So I'll bung one out on that, but I think I may concentrate on the spinning rod. Ever had success on any other baits? I hear a lot about crab, but rarely used it. Macky/squid/rag/lug/mussel usually

Harbour wise, you can reach the codling from the top by the foghorn. Also some (relatively) decent wrasse at times, with the odd flattie. But mainly a coalie fest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts