World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visited Burntisland today and was surprised how many there were there.

After such hard work recently in claering up the litter, I was disgusted with two seperate instances that I witnessed.

The first involved a man who was accompanied by his family, no problem with that at all, but when the youngest of the party requires a nappy change, which is not unusual, again no problem with that, but what I do find unacceptable is when it came to packing up,the family left the soiled nappy just lying on the breakwater path.

The second incident involved a mackie basher, opening up a new set of feathers and then just proceeding to throw the packaging over the wall of the breakwater, when he coukld easily have put it in his tackle box and taken it home with him.

It is people like this who, thankfully are in a minority, who give the rest of us such a bad name.

In contrast to this, again at Burntisland I saw a man walk virtually the whole length of the breakwater in order to retreive a carrier bag that had blown away whilst he was fishing.

Sorry to report in such a negative way, but it annoys me to witness this sort of behaviour, which is easily preventable with a little bit of thought.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As this is a very public place why could we not band together and badger fife council into supplying litter bins strategically placed along the breakwater.

·
Registered
752 Posts
As this is a very public place why could we not band together and badger fife council into supplying litter bins strategically placed along the breakwater.

Great idea, but you still have to rely on the person or persons actually putting the rubbish in the bin. it will always be a reccuring problem.

Jim

P

·
0 Posts
Outside the shops at Causewayhead, there are two bins. When the school is in, the kids leave the litter on the pavement at lunchtime, and the shopkeepers sweep up afterwards. The bins are never used, so if people can't be bothered to walk 20ft to a bin, why should they walk even further on the breakwater?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
So sorry to hear about this... I am still waiting on word from my local councillor about litter bins,, but as he stated it might be a problem dealing with forth ports authorities who own the ground there.
Unfortunately there will always be a minority who will not bother to take rubbish home or even stick it in a nearby bin. I think though that the litter meet has helped down there as there has not been as much litter as before. We will never stop it, but at least we have made a dent in the problem.
If we continue to pack up our own litter and maybe ( just maybe ) pass on a bit of encouragement to other anglers then we may go some way of getting through to the right people and eventually get some action taken regarding the bins.
I will continue to pester fife council and others and hopefully get a response from someone.. If the litter is pretty bad at the end of the summer we could maybe have another clean up/meet combining fishing session and perhaps a BBQ..
We wont be beaten on this..... Findus..

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
So sorry to hear about this... I am still waiting on word from my local councillor about litter bins,, but as he stated it might be a problem dealing with forth ports authorities who own the ground there.
Unfortunately there will always be a minority who will not bother to take rubbish home or even stick it in a nearby bin. I think though that the litter meet has helped down there as there has not been as much litter as before. We will never stop it, but at least we have made a dent in the problem.
If we continue to pack up our own litter and maybe ( just maybe ) pass on a bit of encouragement to other anglers then we may go some way of getting through to the right people and eventually get some action taken regarding the bins.
I will continue to pester fife council and others and hopefully get a response from someone.. If the litter is pretty bad at the end of the summer we could maybe have another clean up/meet combining fishing session and perhaps a BBQ..
We wont be beaten on this..... Findus..
count me in findus i will help mate enjoyed the last litter pick,followed by a few hours fishing.:thumbs:

·
Registered
380 Posts
The summer month,s will always be the same with holiday makers school holidays and everybody and his dug trying to catch mackeral and if you say anything all you get is dug,s abuse or told to :shutup:

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
To be honest - I thought the litter meet was gonna be a hard slog as there was so much rubbish,, but since about 20 peeps turned up and mucked straight in we were finished it in half an hour. Of course we could not do the whole breakwater in that one night,, but the blue shed area + an area further along were totally cleaned up, and it looked great.
it just shows you what a bunch of committed anglers will do...

·
Deputy Jokes Forum Examiner
2,909 Posts
it just shows you what a bunch of committed anglers will do...
I think we all need to be committed (to the loony bin)

Paul

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I think we all need to be committed (to the loony bin)

Paul
Aye your right there mate - we must be mad going out in all weathers and picking up other peoples sh1t. My boss told me to go out in the rain the other day, and i told him to **** right off. The next day i was standing fishing in the rain with no jacket!!!!! funny that eh ? lol..

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
The summer month,s will always be the same with holiday makers school holidays and everybody and his dug trying to catch mackeral and if you say anything all you get is dug,s abuse or told to :shutup:
i wouldnt imagine many folk giving you cheek rab ,but in sayin that there are some right wide o,s about these days.
cheers rab

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Aye your right there mate - we must be mad going out in all weathers and picking up other peoples sh1t. My boss told me to go out in the rain the other day, and i told him to **** right off. The next day i was standing fishing in the rain with no jacket!!!!! funny that eh ? lol..
that made me laugh mate ,most of us will have done something similar.
cheers rab

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe another clean up and get the local rag involved,they are always interested in these kind of stories.That way a wider audience get to hear about it,and you would probably get a lot more people involved.i'm sure the PR department of the Ports authority would then be only too pleased to get involved,NAE HARM IN TRYING

·
Registered
4 Posts
I work for my local council enforcing litter laws (giving people fines for littering) and the only way to stop this i feel is by such methods however these laws are hard to enforce in rural areas its just plain ignorance im also invoved in litter picks around such areas around the clyde basin and this does make a big difference the more people and publicity you get and local authorites you get involved the better and hopefully get the message to these moron. keep up the good word !

·
Registered
50 Posts
I haven't fished the breakwater this year but twice last year i parked up near the blue shed and spent an hour picking up litter before starting fishing. Both times i filled atleast 4 black bags.
I hate the looks you get from dog walkers down there. They look at you, look at the mess, look at you and shake their heads. The last time I was wombling around with my black bag a young jakey walked by with buckfast in one hand, fishing rod in the other and mumbled "you're fighting a losing battle there pal"
I'm reluctant to go back this year which is a shame as it's the closest mark to home. I don't think adding bins would make the slightest bit of difference as the types that throw litter wouldn't use the bin anyway.
Not fishing related but i was in tesco yesterday and watched a scummy young couple paying for ice lollies then unwrapping them and throwing the wrappers on the floor whilst still inside the shop:doh: Probably better that than outside right enough but i just makes me wonder what these peoples homes must be like inside!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts