World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone give me info on marks to fish burrowhead whithorn going there for long weekend in summer any tips would be great
cheers

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
If you are staying in Burrowhead holiday village, you are there. marks to left right and centre, main species are ballan wrasse, pollack and lesser spotted dogfish. Also the odd conger, mullet, bass and mackerel. Some spots are a wee bit difficult to reach, and the rocks can be treacherous underfoot when wet. There is quite a tide race betwen the Isle of Whithorn and the headland. Well stocked tackle shop in Newton Stewart, and it is open on Sundays. If you walk to the right side of the site, ( towards St. Ninians cave ) thru the swing gate and over the wee stream, after a couple of hundred yds. or so the stances become more accessible. Float fishing can be very rewarding, and bottom fishing can require a goodly stock of weights. Some lug can be dug in the harbour, away from the moorings, also in the small bay at Gairlieston, a few miles away.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
No problem mate, one point I forgot to mention was, make sure the rock you fish from cannot get cut off by the tide, it's easily done, I'm talking from experience. Thought I was safe on a big rock but tide came up and caught me and the wife out. Luckily someone ran to a farm to phone the lifeboat, as mobile phones did not work down there. Sea was lapping our shins when the lifeboat arrived from Port William.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
You are right about signal from I.O.M. but it depends upon where you are whether or not you can get a signal, at the foot of some cliffs there is none. I once had a problem with my outboard engine about 500 yds. out from Port William harbour, and all I could get was no network coverage. mines is a nokia, others may fare better, it is a good idea to test for coverage. As soon as I enter the old camp gates at Burrowhead I get a text welcoming me to the Isle of Man, giving me a number to ring and stating roving rates apply, yet when I venture past the old wickerman, I can dial straight to Dumfries no problem.

·
Registered
724 Posts
"Just a point on the mobiles, they do work but the signal is via the manx network, and it aint cheap!" "You are right about signal from I.O.M."

Well now you boys are lucky I can't get a signal at home here in the I.o.M.

When I'm staying in Drummore I change to a Vodaphone sim, I've found that down around the Mull the signal dissappears tho'.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Have a good holiday, the bar sells good beer and it is quite cheap, at least it was last year. Summer fishing is best there, hope you find the time to let us know how the fishing went.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Be prepared for 'Legion, for they are many'. Doggies that is ...............lol. Any fish bait will be hammered by them, from size 2 kamasans x 3 match stylee!, to 8/0 varivas and flapper. Check your tide sizes, the biggest springs ain't the best. I prefer a mid size rising neap, gives more choice on methods and likely sport from the shore. The lateral tide is a killer on exposed points. Tight Lines.

·
Registered
86 Posts
PS ................. Fished there many times over the years. Went last summer at short notice. Was the only place we could get a caravan (mingin:yucky: ) The wind was that strong we were literally trapped in the bloo%y thing, taking bets on when it would eventually succumb and roll over, with us inside.

On the funny side, we watched the poor bugg%rs in tents cling for dear life onto the ground as everything else went horizontal ........................ oops veering off topic into chit chat.

Hope you have a better time than we. :)

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
If the wind is very strong from the West, it can make a lot of the headland unfishable, if this is the case, drive down to the isle, and take the Gairlieston road, after Portyerrock bay, the farmers at Sheddock, Dinnans and Palmallet are very good at allowing you to park and have the shelter whilst fishing Wigtown bay. Same type of fishing as Burrowhead, except ballan wrasse are thin on ground there.

·
Registered
239 Posts
aye jackie the wrasse are thin down here............... only go to 3lb :secret:

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Aye john, not saying none at Palmallet, Dinnans or Sheddock, just that they are more numerous from the head round to Curghiedown.

·
Registered
239 Posts
aye jackie there has been some good fish from those marks over the years and not just wrasse, mullet was a good target, does the mullet record still come from here, ( albert )

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Yes John, as far as I am aware big Alberts shore record remains unbroken, it is still given as the record at 7lb. 3 oz 4 dr. in the latest S.F.S.A. handbook, although that does not necessarily mean it is right, as Mark Hendersons boat record thicked lipped grey mullet of 6lb. 4 oz. is not mentioned, and the old record of 3lb. 15 oz 4 dr. is still given. Sure you are like myself and have seen them not far from double figures, not a million miles from the Isle. Did you ever catch one on the marshmallows ? Very intelligent fish these mullet, I remember when David Little hooked one at B range near Kirkcudbright. David played it for ages on a light carp rod, and as it tired , he asked me to net it for him. The sea was crystal clear, could even see the mackerel dart about below the surface, and when it neared the net, this mullet I would guess to be in double figures sped from nowhere and smashed into the hooked fish, about three times it did this in an attempt to set the hooked fish free, never seen or heard of this before. By the way John, wrasse , mullet and the flatties are my favourites as they are just within my casting limitation.

·
Registered
239 Posts
i will give the tope/smothies a go this year and see if i cant beat my p.b of 32lb from the shore.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I'm sure you are very capable of doing so mate, may even see you there to pick your brain, and study your methods, had smoothie, so know they are within my casting ability, but tope I am unsure of, only ever had them from the boats.

·
Registered
239 Posts
cannie beat a good day in luce bay for a crack at the tope, scars, tongradhie hole, the peaks,binninghams. and even into wigtown bay.

·
Registered
54 Posts
http://www.burrowheadholidayvillage.co.uk/

Thats the webby for the site, the tackle shop in Newton stewarts very good BTW, they do loads of rag a reasonable prices.

Ive had the manx telecom mobile network before but the couple of times I was up there last summer I had no signal whatsoever (It was great-lol)

If you dont know the marks then take plenty lead as it can be quite unforgiving.
Rotten bottoms are advisable.

Theres a decent bar on the site and the foods not bad in the cafe (well it beats cold Baked Beans!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.