World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Burry Port yesterday to "recce" the sandbanks at low water, thought I would take the rod & have a "dangle" whilst I was there. Lots of people pumping worm at low water, & collecting crab along the wall where the power station used to be.
Caught a couple of "basslets" & saw several more caught, but nothing worth talking about, suprised not to see any flounders caught!
Saying that it was a poor tide (12.2mts at Swansea) for the estuary, & we had to virtually run back up the beach as the tide came in, small tides are so much better & productive.
At least I found out that there is "no way home" from Whiteford to Burry Port at low water, unless your boat has 4 wheel drive!
I met "Jack the Lad" who was also doing the recce, & putting his boat in the marina for the expected "attack" on the fish! Next visit down there is supposed to be mid May on the neaps, when we go out & create havoc with the local fish population!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great to have met up with you and chat. Thanks for all the useful info you gave me and am looking forward to our joint attack on the local fish population.

Cheers - Jack

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
nice to see you 2 gents met up. thats the way, i always find it a pleasure meeting our members, great to put names to faces........good 1.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poach, from what Jack tells me, Calmia is supposedly going to join us on our trip, we are having a convoy man!
Cockleshell Heroes, Dunkirk Armada call us what you like (except that)! Hope the weather is better than yesterday, or the three of us will be sat in the North Channel, or in the basin under the sill of Burry Port Harbour! waiting for the tide to come back in!!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
that will never do m8. you will like calmia, nice guy, likes a chat,very friendly,he knows a bit too. well he must do,after all he found me some fish, heehee........

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaaaargh I go away for a couple of weeks to earn more money to keep my local tackle dealer in business and what do I find when I come back? Blueskip is coming to the very place that I've blanked time and time again. What chance have I got now eh? I've served my time I deserve some fish - so please leave some for me mate. Seriously though let us know when you're in the area and I'll buy you a pint (and maybe pick your brains a bit) :)

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roller you know that old pop tune "Now you need timing, ticka ticka ticka timing"
well now is the time to be hitting the Burry Inlet IMHO, Flats will be back from spawning over at Trevose Head, & will be feeding up as fast as they can.
I know it might sound dull & I may be ridiculed by the "hotshots", but I fished Cefn Sidan for years, going in through Eastmans Chicken Factory (probably now a Theme Park, or executive housing), down the runway & down the concrete road on my BSA 350! I kept records of my catches over the years, & I never caught anything of note, or in any number, until after the FA Cup Final. It was important to get the time & tide right, its a long ride from Brecon & Hereford on a BSA 350 to catch nowt!
Just a little bit of useless information you might find noteworthy, also I used to dig my white rag on the beach before I started fishing!
blueskip

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Executive housing?, ,,,,,,, in Llanelli? No the road is still there and it's the way i get onto the beach in the aged landy which is one of the main reasons i fish there, aside from halcyon memories of years ago when i used to go with some friends in an old army jeep, It's because i'm bloody lazy I just fuel up buy bait park on the beach and fish if it rains I've even got my own shelter and despite my whinging blanking is not really a problem because when the sun rises over the Gower there are few nicer places to be in the world and it makes me feel privileged to be alive and able to enjoy such a magnificent view..God don't know what came over me - got all lyrical there for a moment I'll probably be off there again tonight BTW what cup final you on about?
ps the offer of a pint is still on

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I should rinse the mouth out, after our glorious Grand Slam Victory! I regret that I am talking about the FA Cup Final, (remember the one they used to hold at Wembley, when they had one)!
They now hold it at the Millenium Stadium, whilst they build their poor imitation!
It is usually held in the middle end of May, (I only used to take notice because it meant the fishing was going to get better)!
Fancy the old Eastmans road still being open, this means I can drive down to the beach in my Disco, when are the next small tides so we can go?
blueskip

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I'm off down there tonight but then I fish when I can rather than wait for tides etc. The Disco will be fine but beware the sandbanks at either end of the beach.(see below) one thing to remember is that the RAF have built stone outcroppings to protect the road onto the beach from the control tower this means that if you fish the western estuary opposite Llansteffan where the wreck of the Paul is you can't drive back until a good couple of hours after high tide (even on small ones) but it is usually worth the wait as you're not constantly driving back away from the tide and the fishing is usually better here anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roller, not the best example of parking I have seen, & how is it that the "Turks" have left a set of good tyres on it?
I never used to go as far up as the "Paul" in fact I often used to turn left towards Pembrey once I hit the beach, thats where I used to find my white rag
blueskip

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
You can rest assured there are no wheels on it now I've fished all along the beach and have had some success around the old Pembrey harbour but I've found the Paul is usually better although it wasn't last night I didn't have a bite and spent most of the night cleaning weed of my line :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts