World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy again folks.

After my successful first forray into sea fishing last weekend (in Millport), this weekend I thought I'd go to Bute and see how the fishing is.

Can anyone recomend a good place on the island for a bit of fishing, I've been to Bute before, but never fished there, I remember there was a lighthouse at one end of the island with a lot of rocky outcrops, I figure that would be a good place to start?, either that or just round a bit from Etterick Bay?

I figure im gonna go for a couple of Mackies, then try my hand at catching a little bigger, maybe Pollack or something, using a Machie for bait. Can anyone give me a quick lesson in preparing the mackrel for bait, and what do you do with it then?, do you just stick a bit of bait on feathers, or would it be better to stick it on a spinner?
Im not sure I have the patience to just throw a line in and wait for something to take it, i'd rather be reeling in and casting the whole time.

I was also wondering the legalities of carrying a knife to prepare the mackie bait (I assume you have to cut it up a bit)?
Thanks a lot for any help, again.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Best way to catch pollack using mackarel as bait is to buy a float kit, only a couple of quid, and cut the mackarel into long strips resembling sand eels.

Cut a fillet off each side of the mackarel by cutting in behind the fin as if you were trying to take it's head off, when you reach halfway through, the backbone will stop the blade, turn the blade towards the tail and saw along the bone until you get a nice fillet off, you can then cut this into long strips about 10mm wide.

The float kits are usually a 6" long polystyrene tube shaped float, and come with hook, ball weight, beads etc. and instructions. you tie a knot up on your line(wee bit of elastic band is perfect) to control the depth below the float your bait will sink to, and you can slide this knot up and down to vary the depth each cast.

You just hook the mackarel strip once near the tip and let it hang down from the end of the hook, try setting your knot around 12 feet above the ball weight first, the current will drag your bait to the side and make it act like an eel. launch it out in deep rocky areas and let it drift about, if the float disappears, dont strike, just pull and keep the pressure on as you reel in. Sometimes pollack will follow your bait in as you retrieve to cast again, and can dart out from below your feet just as you are about to pull the bait from the water, great fun!

Good luck.

·
Registered
794 Posts
never fished there before,but if you want to be workin your rod spin a red\black jellyworm 1oz drilled bullet ,swivel ,2ft shockleader ,hook worm, pollock simple. i wish

·
Registered
414 Posts
shall be fishing the sooth end on sat so if i see you i'll say hello:happy:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't look like I'll be going now shadrapper.

A mate from work is over there camping for a week, so I was gonna go up at the weekend and get a bit of fishing in, but the guys not replying to texts or answering his phone (straight to answer machine), so I'd probably never meet him, so I figure I might as well just go somewhere closer to home.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Doesn't look like I'll be going now shadrapper.

A mate from work is over there camping for a week, so I was gonna go up at the weekend and get a bit of fishing in, but the guys not replying to texts or answering his phone (straight to answer machine), so I'd probably never meet him, so I figure I might as well just go somewhere closer to home.
didnt make it masel mate. an old friend appeared at ma door last night and ruined my days fishing lol :drunk:

if yer ever planning a trip then let me know. will show you some of the sights!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts