World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi Oby, if you look in the Boat section on here you will find a good article that Mike wrote about buying a boat.
A couple of good sites that advertise boats are
www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk
www.apolloduck.co.uk.

What part of Scotland are you from? I live in the I.O.M. and have a place in Drummore and fish over there as often as possible.
It's a great area to fish

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Oby
Buy a boat with a "cathedral" VVV(multi)hull, one that planes, they are far more stable at anchor (where you are going to spend most of your time) than are the traditional "displacement" V hulls (which tend to roll on a wet lawn)!
Get yourself an engine that is just a little too powerful for your boat (if it is recommended for a 50HP get a 60HP) the extra power will be needed when you have that overweight friend, two fishing boxes, a calor gas bottle, fishing weights fuel tanks etc, & a rising SE wind that you need to get in out of!
Get yourself a VHF(they are now available for < £100) & a small depth sounder/fish finder again under £100, Voila! enjoy the rest of your life!
blueskip

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi manxman read the article in boat section very helpful.i've spent many nights searching both websites plus many more and think i may have found the boat for me a sea hog 17.5ft its in Ardwell marine close to Drummore. i live just outside glasgow but know galloway area quite well fished luce bay many years ago nice place

·
Registered
380 Posts
hullo oby...

I live in Ayr, and recently just bought a wee boat myself. One of the best places for you to look, I would think especially this time of year, is up at the big loch (Lomond).

Near enough all of the boats are out the water and the 'summer players' have decided to get rid of the boat and continue with whatever is the latest tend to appeal to them.

I got a 16ft dory with cuddy on trailer, two outboard engines lifejackets etc. etc. It was a case of just drive up and take away ready for fishing ( even fishing gear ).
and all for the pincely sum of £460.

sorry if I sound like I'm rubbing your nose in it....but I am excited and can't wait to get her out in Ayr Bay.

before I found this one though , I did have a scout round ebay.co.uk and there are quite a few in our area gets put up for sale on there.

hope it works out for you and you find what you need

tappajabba

1 - 5 of 5 Posts