World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through the online bait thread and was wondering why everyone buys frozen mackerel from a bait shop instead of buying fresh mackerel from Tesco's, morrisons etc on the day they go fishing.

I am new to sea fishing so I appologise if its a stupid question but surely A: Tesco's is cheaper and B: Fresh is better than mushy frozen.

Please enlighten me

thanks
Ian

·
Registered
25,234 Posts
If its fresh then its obviously better than mackeral that hasnt been frozen properly,judging by the quality of mackeral ive seen on supermarket counters then even mushy frozen is better,wouldnt use supermarket mackeral as bait let alone eat it only good for potbait imo.

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Im yet to see a fish on the supremarket counter that is fresh.

Fresh to me is under 12 hrs old and has been on ice since capture.

Thats why people buy frozen. It is reported to be blast frozen soon after capture.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I was in my local asda store with the mrs and i thought i might see if they had any fresh macky ant the one's on the counter had black sunken eyes so i asked the fish monger if they were the best he had he said why ?? so i said they are not fresh look at them he said how can you tell ?? i said the eyes give it away they should be bright and clear,
He said i got some in the fridge that havent been opened so ha got the box out opened it and the fish were just the same but floating in about 3" of blood water so how long had they been there,
I dont recon these supermarkets have fishmongers they are just staff put on the counter to sell,
So if you want to buy fresh go to a fish monger they know their trade or go bust

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, that answered my question. I will need to answer it for myself, so I will do an experiment and report my findings.

I will bait 2 hooks one with each type of mackerel and see the results.

Thanks for all the advice and help. This site is very helpfull and the people very friendly. The best thing for some one like me, new to sea fishing. All my questions and queries have been answered promptly and friendly.

Many thanks
Ian

·
Registered
829 Posts
I don't often use mackerel for sea fishing but I used it allot when I used to go pike fishing frozen and never had A problem with it but I used to get it from the same tackle shop every time and it was always the BLAST FROZEN ones and he had regular deliveries of the bait I think they were ammo ones but not sure its about 10 years ago the odd time I go after conger now I just ask A couple of local anglers to get me A few for bait when there out on there boats (in summer ) then I use them the same night or fillet them and keep them in the fridge over night for the day after:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The staff ain't got a clue how fresh the stuff is and it doesn't seem to fish well? In fact I don't think I've caught anything on the last 3 mackerel I bought from asda!

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
if u look on the fresh fish counter it usually says somewhere small previously frozen, take tescos "fresh lobsters" there identicule to the frozen lobsters in the freezer section without a box and taste gak.
even their farmed fresh chilled section bass usually shows signs of putrification.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Apparently the best thing to do with mackerel is take it from the sea yourself, protect it from the sun, get it home, fillet it straight away, wrap the fillets in news paper and fridge them for 12 hours, unwrap them, foil them, freeze them. A very well respected match angler told me this, the emphasis was on the freshness. I've been doing it this year for light pop up fishing baits and it's much nicer than using super market goo. Obviously no good if you're using whole Mack as a big bait. The only thing I've ever caught on super market mackerel was mackerel! :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think using the word fresh was the wrong word, I should of said defrosted. My daughters boyfriend works at Morrisons on the fish counter and is a very good filleter, I was going to get him to fillet some mackerel for me to take fishing. I was trying to save money by using supermarket mackerel. It looks like its crap according to the comments recieved.
Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Morrisons told me that none of their fish is frozen........none.

I've been using their macky and herrings for years

wildbrownie, ask your friend if it is true. While I am here, I have to say that blueys are a load of mush, and no wonder if they are frozen,shipped elsewhere and thawed out and refrozen.
Den

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I think using the word fresh was the wrong word, I should of said defrosted. My daughters boyfriend works at Morrisons on the fish counter and is a very good filleter, I was going to get him to fillet some mackerel for me to take fishing. I was trying to save money by using supermarket mackerel. It looks like its crap according to the comments recieved.
Thanks
Ian
I have never had any problem with supermarket mackeral. If my Missus sees it cheap on the bargain shelf she will buy it for me to put in the freezer for fishing. I have never had it turn mushy on defrosting and usually whip it on the hook anyway. Take advantage of your contact at Morrisons and save some cash!:thumbs:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Morrisons told me that none of their fish is frozen........none.

I've been using their macky and herrings for years

wildbrownie, ask your friend if it is true. While I am here, I have to say that blueys are a load of mush, and no wonder if they are frozen,shipped elsewhere and thawed out and refrozen.
Den
Hi Den,
I have just got a reply.
He said" None of its frozen, they go through alot of hassle to keep it fresh.

Sharpshooter: He has brought home fish and meat that is so called out of date. We have frozen it and it tastes great when defrosted. The date is the date for the shelf as you say, not the date that it is on its last legs, its probably got another couple of weeks left but they can't take a chance with the british public turning into the USA suing culture at every drop of a hat.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Given that we all visit the coast from time to time, try not to forget that a lot of coastal towns will have a fish market that will sell you a a mackerel far fresher than anything the supermarkets have to offer.

Depending on where you live, the fish you buy will have potentially had to travel a long way through the supermarket's distribution network before it gets to the retailer.

I live in Portsmouth but a lot of our supermarkets down here are selling "fresh" fish that has been sourced from the other side of the country.

·
Registered
580 Posts
You cant beat fresh mackerel we know that anyway the texture and most importantly the oil in the flesh is better as well. But of all the supermarket baits i have used for some reason morrisons seems to be better than the rest. the fish seem to think so anyway :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Morrisons is the only fresh fish counter I will use for home eating fish. All the others are freshly defrosted! And ****in horrid looking things! Should be illegal to sell the crap that they put on the shelves!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.