World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right guys, I want to ask a couple of questions.

Firstly, can someone please give me an idea of what i should be looking to purchase to get a bit more seriously into this sea fishing lark?

So far, I've only fished from a pier and that has been with a couple of very basic 12ft beachcasters and basic fixed spool reels. My rigs have been very basic too. I'm looking to start off on the right footing, so i thought I'd canvass peoples opinion on what i should buy for some basic shore and pier fishing and what budget I should be looking to spend? Alternatively, do any of you know of either some good / reasonable quality second hand equipment or a good starter pack being sold by your angling centre. I started out with some basics as i wasn't really sure if I'd like to continue it on. Now I'm becoming 'hooked' if you excuse the pun, I'm keen to develop a reasonable quality 'starter kit' set of tackle. Anything from basic hooks, line sizes, weights etc ould be helpful along with other items such as tripods, rods and reel recommendations. Whilst i don't have a never ending pot of money, I'd like to start up and build up my kit over the coming months, even if it means buying a few bits each month. I should also mention that i would be generally fishing along the south coast ranging from Bournemouth to Chichester areas.

Secondly, I'd like some recommendations of books / videos or the help of a kind experienced angler locally who can show me what to do with it all. So any advice would be grateful.

Thirdly, I live at Waterlooville near to Portsmouth, so can anyone give me recommendations of some good sea angling clubs to join in the area?

Many thanks guys,

Paul

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Paul

I'm sure you will find a lot of answers on here - both on the forum, and especially from the excellent articles on the main site.

As far as tackle goes, I would strongly recommend that you stick with the 'keep it simple' approach. To be honest, as long as your tackle is adequate (and from the sounds of it, it probably already is) then you have all you need to progress to the most important part, and that is learning about the fish that you are aiming to catch.

We are bombarded by magazines telling us that tackle (which manufacturers are paying them to advertise) is the be all and end all. Well it isn't. In fact I would rate tackle as a low priority when it comes to being a successfull angler.

Before you do anything else, I would strongly recommend getting your hands on a copy of Shore Fishing by John Darling. Read and absorb the ethos behind the book. Fishing is about fish, not tackle. Study and learn about the fish that you want to catch. Learn what they eat, when they eat, what type of ground they prefer and why. Spend quite a bit of time on one species and then add another to your list. You will soon build up a wide range of knowledge, and you will be approaching fishing from a whole new (and correct) perspective.

Once you have figured out what you want to catch, and how you can catch it, then the tackle part becomes obvious (really, it does) and you can then spend as little or as much as you want. Keep to the recognised tackle manufacturers (especially when it comes to hooks, swivels etc) and you will not go far wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.

I went fishing yesterday and it became pretty apparent that I wasn't really sure what I was doing.

Last year, I caught some decent bass having learnt how to fish for them from someone a few days earlier.

This time, I hadn't any prior knowledge of how or what to do and ended up drawing a blank (barring a few small wrasse) from a full 12 hours fishing.

Having said that, i did get a nice tan. :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Paul_Martin said:
Thanks for the advice.

I went fishing yesterday and it became pretty apparent that I wasn't really sure what I was doing.

Last year, I caught some decent bass having learnt how to fish for them from someone a few days earlier.

This time, I hadn't any prior knowledge of how or what to do and ended up drawing a blank (barring a few small wrasse) from a full 12 hours fishing.

Having said that, i did get a nice tan. :)

Paul,

Going on what the MANX said, MY opinion is fishing is about luck. Ive caught a 51/2LB conger on a size 2 hook this hook was meant to catch flatties. Ive used the same trace/rig design for the last 18 yrs but have now modified it to catch the bigger the fish. If you want any more info on rigs PM us.

Woodster

PS MANX one does hope that I HAVE NOT UPSET YOU. In my eyes you are the the GOD FISHERMAN one hopes to be a a disciple

·
Registered
568 Posts
woodster said:
PS MANX one does hope that I HAVE NOT UPSET YOU. In my eyes you are the the GOD FISHERMAN one hopes to be a a disciple
Don't worry Woodster, I doubt I will ever be upset by anything written on this or any other forum - life is too short :D

As for being a fishing deity .... thanks for such a generous comment, but I'm sorry to shatter any illusions as I'm far from that. I'm simply mad keen about fishing, and have been for a long time so have kinda picked up bits and pieces here and there - it also helps being lucky enough to be born and live in an excellent place for sea fishing :)

Yes, luck does play a part in fishing - but for consistent results all you have to do is understand what is going on beneath the water. Sounds simple, but we all know that a lifetime isn't enough to learn it all.

The fun part about fishing is that there is ALWAYS more to learn, and so I get as much out of this forum as anyone.

Paul, you hit upon a good point - it is so much easier to learn from watching someone else. Most of the best tricks and tips I know have been passed to me by others. I can't think of many things that I have figured out for myself.

·
Registered
890 Posts
you could join southsea sea angling club its mainly boat fishing but quite a few people go shore fishing in the local area.we have about 60 boat owning members who all regulary fish and wouldnt mind taking you on their boats.the club house is in granada road 02392825508.but you will find most of us in the compound most days, ferry road eastney next to public slipway just come down sometime.
i think it is £25 per year to join.
hope this helps

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello Paul.

Some good advice from other posters already, especially Karl. Magazines are OK but they do tend to want to help their advertisers sell products, so joining a club would be a good way of getting good advice and actually be shown what to do.

On gear, we all tend to start out the same way, we buy cheap stuff and then grow out of it, we then buy better stuff and grow out of that as well so we then end up buying decent stuff and this is part of the learning process.

If like a lot of folk you see lots of people using multipliers and get tempted to have a go. Don't buy a cheap one, they put more people off than anything.

As said before, learn to fish first (Rigs, bait, times to fish, keeping warm, dry and safe.) then worry about what rod and reels to buy.

Have you got SKY, if so look out for the programs called "Fishing with Henry" or "Fishing on the edge" presented by Henry Gilbey (Possibly available on video). Basic sound advice like "Keep it simple" with lots of enthusiasm.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts