World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I suspected when I first commented on the rod felling a bit floppy, the problem with the floppyness was with my technique rather than the rod. You do have to alter your cast if you are use to using a rod with a stiffer tip and mid section. We have on many ocasion heard the comment that you need to get into the but to get the best out of a rod. This is a rod that requires a sharpening up of your technique to get the best out of it. I found myself having to slow down and extending the casting arc as much as possible. I found it helped if I visualised the cast on the oche picturing myself pushing the rod away from me and drawing the rod around my body and a strong punch pull over my shoulder, in the end I found the rod was spitting away a 175 gram weight like a bullet.lol
I am hopping that having to revisit my technique to wring out the best in this rod will also have a positive influence on my casting with the TTR. I think a lot of people go for a stiffer rod before they are competent in there technique, there is probaly an immediate and noticable increase in distance so the assumption is the move is a positive one, but they then stay at one level because the technique hasn't developed enough to get the best out of a stiffer rod. Probably talking out of my jacksy but that how this rod has made me feel.

Ii

·
Registered
643 Posts
Thanks I think you have answerd the question I just posted in general sea fishing think I would opt for the tippier 1 of the 2. I am old fashioned but floppy rods remind me of days of old when all I could afford was cheap and nasty (but I think I caught more then )LOL

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Great description Swansea Jack. We need more threads like this in the casting section.
Thanks......but it makes me want to go out and buy one now though!

·
Registered
438 Posts
As a lot of lads know (going by offers recieved ) i just sold my pair of C Curves. Not because they are a bad rod, far from it they are brilliant rods. The problem i had with them was me. I just felt i wasn't getting even close to the best the rods could give. And if i we're honest i'm getting a bit old and can't be ars'd to be learning new tricks. I will of course keep practicing my techniqe, which needs much improvement and maybe at a later date pick up another set. So imo if your thinking about getting a C curve, be sure of or be willing to refine your technique. If your there or willing to go there. Then these rods are gonna make you smile.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Interesting thread does that follow the idea that its best to learn to cast with a stiff rod and say a 175grm lead as this will magnify your errors and therefore you learn by your mistakes, rather than a softer rod that lets you get into the feel of a rod BEFORE moving to a stiffer weapon ?

What sort of changes to your style would youmake if you used C and J curved rods?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Definitely an interesting thread its great to see swansea jack n flipside-of-b talking about their technique and admitting its so humbling nicely done guys.(most of the time i blame my tackle lol !)And a good description of the c curve rod casting technique etc.
With regards to crack off colins question ? - Well here goes,the first part of the question whether a stiff rod with 175grams sinker helps in your learning curve i would tend to disagree as i think a pleasant med fast rod(Fishing rod) would be more suitable,a 175gram sinker is quite something to cast with let alone a beginner !(hope i didnt make a fool of myself lol !) A j curve rod i would lengthen drop and turn into cast slower so that the rod would feel softer and try to finish faster ! A c curve rod i would stick to regular drop or even slightly shorter to maximise rods action(oops did i make a fool of myself ? lol)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is stiffness the only reason for selection? How about rod weight?
If weight is also important, up to how many grams does the rod has to be?

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
In fairness, to those who think it is a 'floppy' rod, I do understand what they mean.
I put it slightly differently though. I said it loaded really smoothly and easily, but recovered extremely fast.
No doubt about it though, it does feel a great deal less stiff than the harder rock rods.
I guess it is how you look at it. Or what you want. Personally, I think it is a wonderful 'fishing' rod, that also casts beautifully.
I find, to get into it's real power, you want to start turning slightly later than you would with my TTR, or I imagine a WR300 (never tried that).
From memory, I think I was hitting 195, or thereabouts, with Kompressor S and 150g, but managed 225 with 4oz. I have managed 225 with C Curve, and never tried with 4oz. If Ks is anything to go by, and Andy Copping's findings are correct, then I imagine I would get more out of it on 4oz too? I hardly go on field, though really feel I must very soon. One does get a little rusty, and bait casting is very different.
Anyway, upshot is, C is a great rod. Fishing or casting.
Flipsides comment surprised, as I would have imagined it to be a very easy and usable rod. We are all different though.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Is stiffness the only reason for selection? How about rod weight?
If weight is also important, up to how many grams does the rod has to be?
Good point justblue,weight definitely a big issue ! surely a beginner with ttr and 175gram would find the outfit far too heavy a profile with a 4oz would be ideal.Its much easier to get on with a pleasant rod like the profile with 4oz sinker than a heavier 175gram stiff outfit !This just to answer the question of justblue

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Good point justblue,weight definitely a big issue ! surely a beginner with ttr and 175gram would find the outfit far too heavy a profile with a 4oz would be ideal.Its much easier to get on with a pleasant rod like the profile with 4oz sinker than a heavier 175gram stiff outfit !This just to answer the question of justblue
I don't know what is right, but I have seen a few comment that a larger lead helps highlight weaknesses?

·
Registered
528 Posts
a larger lead helps me slow things down; maybe it helps to focus on the technique by shufting down one`s own speed?!

i feel like a lighter rod would help learning to cast more easily.

i own a 12" supercast which is a pleasant rod to cast as it is light and very well balanced.

my other rod, an MK1 century TT match, is way heavier and -which is especially bad- it is tip heavy like hell.

the century exhausts me a lot easier, so casting technique suffers as you are not able to handle the rod properly due to a lack of 'power'
after some dozen casts. it is getting better and better as muscle mass seems to build up gradually.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My post was never intended in any way to critise ths C Curve as I am finding I am warming to it big time. It is very easy to load and spits the lead away, which is why my technique suffered so badly. It was to easy to bring the rod around fast and end up chopping your casting arc. Now that I am consciously trying to fully extend my casting arc, so that feeling of floopynes is a thing of the past. Good techniques with this rod will be rewarded with lovely light rod with great distance potential . I nearly always use a 175 gram when I'm practising for the same reason I was having difficulty getting to grip with the C curve, it is to easy to cast poorly, the 175 will let you know far better when the cast is wrong as it not as easy to bully as the lighter leads.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My post was never intended in any way to critise ths C Curve as I am finding I am warming to it big time. It is very easy to load and spits the lead away, which is why my technique suffered so badly. It was to easy to bring the rod around fast and end up chopping your casting arc. Now that I am consciously trying to fully extend my casting arc, so that feeling of floopynes is a thing of the past. Good techniques with this rod will be rewarded with lovely light rod with great distance potential . I nearly always use a 175 gram when I'm practising for the same reason I was having difficulty getting to grip with the C curve, it is to easy to cast poorly, the 175 will let you know far better when the cast is wrong as it not as easy to bully as the lighter leads.
Hi swansea Jack,i think you are doing very well buddy admitting and discussing about your technique here(its admirable !)also its not easy as you say trying to extend your casting arc and franklly using a 175gram sinker to show when cast goes wrong is no small feat.
cheers buddy

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would be intresting to see the first few cast you had with the C Curve by way of a comparison. I notice you are using a long drop, a few people have recomended that I try a much shorter drop. I have resisted trying this because it would be to far from m y normal casting with the TTR and might effect my normal casting style .

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
In regards to the earlier casts they were not so good as I was turning too fast for the rod and the lead was coming inside the tip causing me to hit it WAY too early. The longer drop allows far more time to do things and makes the rod load easier . A short drop means everything happens faster and I find that my timing needs to be much better. On the heavy lead I simply try and take even more time thereby getting the biggest arch and hense a higher lead speed.

Regards

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Hi all,

i agree with Swansea Jacks comments regarding these rods, i have found that a slightly shorter drop helps to really compress the rod and get into the mid section, there is usable power in these rods a nice smooth progressive wind up will get the lead flying, it is after all a c curve and the action is just that, i am also turning as late as possible and have sped up the lead trajectory as wide and as fast as i feel comfortable with, its an easy casting rod and will cast great distances its light and also a great fishing rod a true hybrid.

·
Registered
35 Posts
HI Steve,
how does your excalibur C curve compare to the AFAW Tourney Match rod you have got ?? and which do you prefer in regards to fishing and tip sensitivity? and also just out and out casting? cheers man.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts