World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally decided which mark to fish and choose to fish caerfai bay with my mate.conditions were perfect, cloud cover, away from the wind and a bit of a swell/chop.fished two rods out deep and one in close.one float and occasional quick flick with a spinning rod.set up the float first and it twitched almost straight away.thought here we go!!!!!!!!!!,only to find it was a blenny.that was all the action we had.missed one bite later on, on one of the deep rods but missed the bu**er.fished from 8am til 1pm and had enough and went home.fished with squid, sandeel, rag and cuttlefish.nevermind nice to be down west and will give it a try again in a couple of weeks
THE HUSS HUNT CONTINUES.........................................................

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If you fish the right hand point at night you will catch Huss here my best 13 1/2lb also some nice conger my best 27lb 9oz!Both on pollack fillet huss in April conger at the beginning of June.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
If you fish the right hand point at night you will catch Huss here my best 13 1/2lb also some nice conger my best 27lb 9oz!Both on pollack fillet huss in April conger at the beginning of June.
Is that right out on the point, Steve? See attached aerial piccy...

Is is moderately-rough out there or full-on graunch? Thanks in advance for any info!

Cheers - John

Attachments

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yes it's a little rough for 20 yards (a big rock),but there's apparently a cave on the other side of the rock so a kindly diver told me,then smaller rocks weed and sand.The gully between the point and the rock throws up good wrasse,under the rod tip.If you fish further out the wrasse are smaller!Very good for fly fishing for pollack in the summer.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
finally decided which mark to fish and choose to fish caerfai bay with my mate.conditions were perfect, cloud cover, away from the wind and a bit of a swell/chop.fished two rods out deep and one in close.one float and occasional quick flick with a spinning rod.set up the float first and it twitched almost straight away.thought here we go!!!!!!!!!!,only to find it was a blenny.that was all the action we had.missed one bite later on, on one of the deep rods but missed the bu**er.fished from 8am til 1pm and had enough and went home.fished with squid, sandeel, rag and cuttlefish.nevermind nice to be down west and will give it a try again in a couple of weeks
THE HUSS HUNT CONTINUES.........................................................
Hi knightynose where is it mate never fished it but i like to gave it ago thanks tight lines

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If you mean Caerfai it's just before St Davids on the left as you come in from Solva.There's a resonable campsite just before the carpark for the beach.I've caught bass dabs plaice and turbot from the beach there as well,from low upto 4 hours before high.The beach is very popular with holidaymakers so early or late is the way to go in summer.In August 1980 I helped somebody land a 25lb Tope from the point,again on pollack,I lost one I think that bit through 250lb nylon on its second 100 yard run!

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
If you mean Caerfai it's just before St Davids on the left as you come in from Solva.There's a resonable campsite just before the carpark for the beach.I've caught bass dabs plaice and turbot from the beach there as well,from low upto 4 hours before high.The beach is very popular with holidaymakers so early or late is the way to go in summer.In August 1980 I helped somebody land a 25lb Tope from the point,again on pollack,I lost one I think that bit through 250lb nylon on its second 100 yard run!
Not a place for fixed-spools then! Must learn to cast with my SL30SH before I go!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
John if you are camping there,a really nice day out is to take some spinning gear and walk along the coastal path from Caerfai to Solva stopping at any of the dozens of lovely looking rock marks that take your fancy,we've caught mackerel,scad,coalies,pollack,wrasse(on orange eels!),and bass(biggest 5lb).Rather convieniately you can then finish in the pub on the hill coming out of Solva for a couple of pints before catching the bus back to St Davids.It's not a really difficult walk but it will (depending on how many times you stop to fish) take up most of the day!

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
John if you are camping there,a really nice day out is to take some spinning gear and walk along the coastal path from Caerfai to Solva stopping at any of the dozens of lovely looking rock marks that take your fancy,we've caught mackerel,scad,coalies,pollack,wrasse(on orange eels!),and bass(biggest 5lb).Rather convieniately you can then finish in the pub on the hill coming out of Solva for a couple of pints before catching the bus back to St Davids.It's not a really difficult walk but it will (depending on how many times you stop to fish) take up most of the day!
Just found this post LOL! Nice idea Steve!

BTW, in the past I have done geological fieldwork at the old silver-mine east again from Solva. There is a long headland beyond the mine called Dinas Fawr. Have you ever fished it? Definately has a "fishy" look to it, if you know what I mean!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've never made it past the pub in Solva!I'm normally knackered by the time I get to Solva!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts