World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the boat out today for the first time since 18 August last year.
Had a coupleof hours out in the bay. Couple of dozen doggies and 6 thornies, biggest 9 1/2lb. Trim tabs fitted over winter are spot on and the downrigger is working brilliantly, had the rays on it.
Just need the water to warm up a couple of degrees.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
:cool: Sounds awesome,,

U lucky lucky git..

When i get a boat,,i gonna pick ur brains loads,,u know that right??

im gonna get a 18-20ft'r if possible..for me and my brother,,and a couple o mates..to go out and terrorize and decemate the worlds fishing stocks..lol

Well catch 1 or 2 anyway :D

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go for it Marcus, I have had a boat for 36 years and love it out on the water. My son has 12 years experience on the water and he is only 16 now. Just done and passed his RYA Level 2. He has his own boat and is pestering me for a rib with a big engine to go playing on.

Best thing I have ever done ( with my clothes on ), get one tomorrow and start asking.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You could try the extreme left hand end of Black Rock Sands. The gun at Borth y Gest - square brick thingy on right of harbour. The beach / pier a Criccieth. On the other side = behind garage at Llanfihangel-y-traethau, Harlech and Llandanwg beaches, Shell Island.
If you ask nicely, I will even go fishing for you !!!!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
ChrisP, "Trim Tabs"? are these attached to the hull, are they adjustable? Or are they those "wings" you fit on an outboard that supposedly put you on the plane quicker? (do they work at all)?
The downrigger I understand, I made one myself years ago with half a boat rod, a Penn Senator 6/0, half a Zip Slider, & a short piece of hose to hold the Zip Slider, works a treat with the Senator 6/0 as the winch (best use for it).
These trim tabs intrigue me!
blueskip

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hydraulically operated SS Plates fixed to rear of boat. You can adjust them individually to trim the boat or together to raise or lower the bow. They are also supposed to give you better fuel economy, jury is out on that 1.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Well done Chris! It's a good thing you put your boat away at the end of August otherwise we mere mortals would not catch anything!

Now these Trim tabs (they're not slimmimg aids are they by any chance?) Do they make any to fit Waders as I fancy a little water walking!?

·
Registered
54 Posts
ChrisP said:
Hydraulically operated SS Plates fixed to rear of boat. You can adjust them individually to trim the boat or together to raise or lower the bow. They are also supposed to give you better fuel economy, jury is out on that 1.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/

I'm not lookin' anymore!! Are you guys on Santa's payroll??? (I'm wanting these now, well my dogs are, they hate it when the bow comes up and that hull slapping thing starts happening.)

Would tabs help to stop this? It seems from your link ChrisP that they may well do, it can get a bit frisky on a smallish boat with a relatively big engine. :eek:

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They work the same as trimming the engine in or out, or they can be operated individually to trim the boat side to side.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ChrisP said:
They work the same as trimming the engine in or out, or they can be operated individually to trim the boat side to side.

Scratches head.... looks confused... (well more than usual that is!!! :confused: :confused: :confused: ) My hull is a planing hull (turns head, looks at bottom and shrugs) - are these gizmos still needed??

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
C'mon C'breeze you must know that if you take the engine out a notch you push the bow down, if you take it in a notch you push the bow up, unless you have an inboard, then its difficult, & you're stuffed!
bluskip

·
Registered
54 Posts
marcus said:
*looks at cbreeze and then chrisp,looks at shoes,sighs realising that i have nothing to add here,,and am completely dumbfounded,Gets coat and leaves*

:D

That'll be why we like dog fish....Barking mad!! lol :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi Chris,
Which size did you fit? Did you have to move or remove the boarding ladder?
I have fitted a Doelfin to my engine, it has improved the planning at low speed and also it allows me to trim the bow up a bit more, but it will be interesting what your true Trim tabs do for the handling and economy. Keep me posted if you don't mind.

Cheers Steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
blueskip said:
C'mon C'breeze you must know that if you take the engine out a notch you push the bow down, if you take it in a notch you push the bow up, unless you have an inboard, then its difficult, & you're stuffed!
bluskip
No seriously, I can control most hull noise/slap but I do have 2 largish dogs (canine variety) on board (no-where else to leave them) which I'm sure you can imagine can present some rather difficult (and sometimes stressful-for-all concerned) conditions and if I can find any way at all to make the experience a little less fraught I am more than happy to explore the possibility! Kids woulda been easier I'm sure.... lol :D

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Two choices re: Worried canines

a) Give the dogs something to keep their minds on other things such as sleep
BUT I'm sure you would'nt dream (unlike the dogs) of dispensing narcotics to your four-legged friends, so
b) Take the narcotics yourself!

My only other suggestion is to equip the said furry family members with small headphones and personal Cds and play them some suitable mind quieting music (DON'T ..... mention the 'C' word (as in c.a.t.s.) This will quiet down the 'slapping' as well as, in conjunction with a) above, produce a suitable canine torpor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts