World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read the blurb on the Calcutta shads and it says "Latex shads have proven themselves to be both the saltwater and freshwater angler's favourite lure."

The most glaring question is are they latex or are they actually the same vinyl material that almost every other swimshad is made from ?
If they are latex then I'm suddenly very interested because that should make them much more resistent to being torn up by fish than the competition.

The second question is are they any good ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ken, I bought several packs a few months back and if it is 'action' you are looking for then the ones I had were doggo. I have to admit they look great but do not wiggle their little behinds. Having said that they do different types some of which may be okay. Get yourself to the Lureanglers' Society Lurefair this year as they will have a stand again. You might find something on one of the other stands anyway. If it aint at the Lurefair etc, etc, etc

http://www.lureanglers.co.uk/lurefair 2007.htm

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
The best action is often in the softest, most fragile lures. Don't expect more than a couple of fish on one. If mackeral are about they easily nip the tail off many soft baits.
Veals recently had an offer on Jelltex lures - a mixed bag for under £5. I was impressed by how many were in the bag but they are eels and twin tails.
Seem very tough and stretch to extreme lengths without breaking. Just need a summers use to see if they work.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,
Veals recently had an offer on Jelltex lures - a mixed bag for under £5. I was impressed by how many were in the bag but they are eels and twin tails.
Seem very tough and stretch to extreme lengths without breaking. Just need a summers use to see if they work.
I've been using the jelltex worms for a few years now and the get a big Thumbs up from Me. You can get quite a few fish on the one worm before it shows any damage... I cant comment on the twin tails though as I've yet to get a fish on one of them :(

The Calcutta firetails are also very effective, though like the rest of that type of jellies they don't tend to last long... but they do catch plenty of decent fish :D

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I have used the jelltex sandeels in the past and thought they were a very good lure for pollack. They are a little more 'stretchier' than normal, but i would say that the lasted no longer than the cheaper jellies.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
They are good (better -in my opinion- than the Storm Lures swimshads)
they have a very thin "wrist" to the tail - which may account for them being good, but also is a weak point.

So the next question is how do you reuse the lead-hook from a destroyed shad ? or if you don't, do you bother taking it to the toxic skip at your local dump.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

T
So the next question is how do you reuse the lead-hook from a destroyed shad ? or if you don't, do you bother taking it to the toxic skip at your local dump.
Simple use the hooks with a long thin strip of mackerel belly, just nick it on at one end and you have another great lure :)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
They are pretty similar to a normal lead head i guess then Davy? Should be ok cast from the shore baited with ragworm for the pollack then aswell i'm guessing?

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

They are pretty similar to a normal lead head i guess then Davy? Should be ok cast from the shore baited with ragworm for the pollack then aswell i'm guessing?
They are similar, though the weight is more on the body of the hook rather than at the head like with a leadhead, I don't see why they wouldn't work with ragworm cast from the shore but have never tried it as I prefer using the mackerel strip. :)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I has never thought of that before, i used to just simply let the hook rust in vinegar and throm the remaining in the bin once it was no harm. Its a good idea and very resourceful, something i aim to be more of in my fishing nowadays. Whats the best way to remove the latex of the shad? I can imaginge that it would probably be best removed with a stanley knife or scalpel blade.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
dangle it down near some triggerfish - that's the best way !

I once tried a storm shad on some triggerfish which were looking at every lure but touching none and they "shredded" it back (almost) to bare metal in one retrieve !
And none were anywhere near getting hooked.

I reckon they liked the texture of the "chewy" vinyl. And they were too clever by half !

·
Banned
820 Posts
They are good (better -in my opinion- than the Storm Lures swimshads)
they have a very thin "wrist" to the tail - which may account for them being good, but also is a weak point.

I just cut off what's left and superglue another body or part body and tail of choice back on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts