World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Is there anyone out there willing to comment on a recent friendly debate between myself and a well known tackle retailer?

Having recently purchased my first collection of Rapala jointed plugs in various colours I was surprised to realise that these little beasties have barely any weight at all.

On seeking some professional advice I was told that these lures perform perfectly well under their own steam and on no account would I need to attach any form of weight. So armed with my rather stiff-actioned 10ft spinning rod a cheap and cheerful beach casting fixed spool reel loaded with 15lb mono I headed for my local car park ( I live 35 miles from the sea )

First results were stunning....casts of 17ft..18ft..and then a crushing 21ft, the addition of an american snap swivel increased my range to a massive 24ft.

My euphoria was soon tempered by the realisation that I was probably not going to catch my first bass by casting 8yds into the Menai Straits!

Can anyone steer me in the right direction...this first catch bass has become rather a crusade; surely I should use a pierced bullet or a drilled torpedo weight at the front of the lure or will this impede it's natural action? or perhaps a weight attached 3ft away from the head of the lure will be more effective who can tell me?

Regards and optimism.....Dick Lucebaytope

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
For start, I think your setup is too stiff for lure fishing, try using 8lb line and watch your distance increase dramatically. Why dont you get a lighter more whippy spinning rod and you will also notice a significant increase in distance.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Agree with the whippy rod suggestion and thinner line (braid would be even better)

You will be surprised at how close in the bass are.

If you really must cast a plug further, then the Duel Aile Magnet Slider SB (also sold under the name Yo-Zuri) has a fancy internal weight transfer system which results in casts of upto 40-50 yards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
weight and swivel destroy the action of plugs. Plugs are only for short range shallow rock reefs. Kilty catchers, kosters, tobys, geraman sprats and bass bullets will all catch bass at distance depending on what there feeding on.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hi LUCEBAYTOPE!
I've just come back from a fishing holiday in Bulgaria(The Black Sea).
I was surprised to find out that all over Europe everybody is using a new device invented by the italians called "Bombarda". It can cast any lure over 100 yards with ease. I was catching "blue fish", garfish with and golden gray mullet with it.
I brought with me full set of floating and sinking bombardas to try them over here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
:p perhaps you should try using a lite carp rod and fresh water reel with rear drag. loaded with 8lb line like i do i can easily cast 40 yards which is well far enough for the bassssssssssssssss

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
21 yds can be 20 yds too far with bass. Think about what you're after. The bass likes to feed in shallow areas, frequently hard up against the shore. Yes you will get more distance by using a softer tipped rod (e.g. Ed Schliffke Plugger) and finer line. But I bet if you do catch bass many will take less than 10 yds out, and you'll hook some right under your rod tip. Fly fishing can also be effective and there aren't many of us that can genuinely cast 20 yds plus.
This ain't beachcasting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
try using a whippy small spinning rod whatever ure choice of braid but use about ten foot of clear eight pound mono as bass have very good sight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts