World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My name is Ross Greig and i am currently a masters student with York university carrying out a sea angling survey to see how sea angling has changed over the years around Arran and the Clyde in general.

I desperately need people to take 5 minutes to fill out my questionnaire and send it back to me.

Can you help?
Do you go sea angling in the Clyde?
Did you ever take part in the sea angling festivals in Arran?

If you answered yes to any of these questions then please fill out my survey and send it back to me. If you cant fill out the survey then any fishing related story would be useful. So if your a seasoned professional or a keen amateur, please help and fill out my survey.

Thank you for reading my post and hopefully filling out my survey and sending it back to me.

Ross Greig

(I AM NOT AFFILIATED OR ASSOCIATED WITH DEFRA IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. THE DATA GATHERED IS ENTIRELY CONFIDNETIAL AND IS TO BE USED PURELY IN A SCIENTIFIC STUDY THAT WILL BE PART OF MY FINAL DISSERTATION)

Attachments

G

·
All right, Roscoe_77, you may not be anything to do with DEFRA, but are you associated, in any way, with Calum Roberts, Ruth Thurstan, or COAST?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
He`s explained who he is and why he`s doing it. I think your time in C and P is making you a bit Para noid. Fill it in,,,or don`t. Simple.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
In answer to your questions **********, Callum Roberts is 1 of 3 lecturers teaching my course, I have no contact with Dr Ruth Thurstan, although she is based in my department and I am loosely associated with COAST as part of my 8 week summer placement of which the sea angling survey is part of it.
I would be grateful if you could fill out the survey if you have the time. Or even if you have a fishing related story of a particularly large catch, an especially good day or any story that you may have that stands out in your mind as a sea angler.
Thank you for your post.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi Roscoe,

I've had a look at your questions in your survey, and I'm afraid I will not be taking part. Good luck with your course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi weepete,
Thanks for at least having a look at my survey. Can i ask what stopped you from filling it in? Was there a particular question that put you off?
All the best,

Roscoe

G

·
Hi weepete,
Thanks for at least having a look at my survey. Can i ask what stopped you from filling it in? Was there a particular question that put you off?
All the best,

Roscoe
Hi, Roscoe.

I can't answer for weepete, but I reckon that like me, it was the smell that put him off.

The smell of PEW, Roberts, Thurstan, COAST, NTZs, MCZs, MPAs.......More data to end receational angling freedoms. It stinks.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Hi, Roscoe.

I can't answer for weepete, but I reckon that like me, it was the smell that put him off.

The smell of PEW, Roberts, Thurstan, COAST, NTZs, MCZs, MPAs.......More data to end receational angling freedoms. It stinks.
as above.
you could always get roberts to just make something up though...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hi,
My name is Ross Greig and i am currently a masters student with York university carrying out a sea angling survey to see how sea angling has changed over the years around Arran and the Clyde in general.

I desperately need people to take 5 minutes to fill out my questionnaire and send it back to me.

Can you help?
Do you go sea angling in the Clyde?
Did you ever take part in the sea angling festivals in Arran?

If you answered yes to any of these questions then please fill out my survey and send it back to me. If you cant fill out the survey then any fishing related story would be useful. So if your a seasoned professional or a keen amateur, please help and fill out my survey.

Thank you for reading my post and hopefully filling out my survey and sending it back to me.

Ross Greig

(I AM NOT AFFILIATED OR ASSOCIATED WITH DEFRA IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. THE DATA GATHERED IS ENTIRELY CONFIDNETIAL AND IS TO BE USED PURELY IN A SCIENTIFIC STUDY THAT WILL BE PART OF MY FINAL DISSERTATION)
Hola Ross,

I am from Espain and like you I try to use this forum to lern new tings (in my case inglish language and inglish wards for the fishing)

What the word DEFRA is mean please. I only ask you bicause it is meaning to me they are not nice peoples the way you say this upstairs, so maybi your university dont like this people or you dont like these peoples or the people dont like the fisherman in this forum? o maybe it is my bad Inglish?

I hope you can help me.

Un saludo (we say in Espain - it is like cheers)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
hola mi amigo como estas....... lo siento no hablar espanol :-(

DEFRA is the uk organisation the same as the EEA(european environment agency) that regulates the rest of eorope and as such have many conflicting views to us fishermen !!

hope this helps

jay

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi Roscoe,

Sea Anglers attitude towards conservation on the whole is pretty positive. I recon you won't find many anglers who don't care about our environment and who would love to see an improvement in fish stocks. However there remains the vast majority of anglers are not politisied and simply want to go about their days fishing.

Your survey is asking about one particular area of conservation though, which is the introduction of MCZs and NTZs, the fact is that there are many more methods of conservation of the marine environment and I think this view of conservation is very narrow, though somewhat typical of those in your field. More than anything else though the NTZ in Arran has left a bitter taste in my mouth and it may well be a case of "once bitten, twice shy" and has put myself in the position that, quite frankly, I want nothing to do with MPAs or MCZs and will oppose them at every oppertunity.

A few of your questions do get my back up instantly though, the suggestion that MCZs could permit anglers for a fee much like the freshwater fisheries is a non starter (no doubt you'd be suggesting using that as a revenue stream to help fund them) IMHO, as for introducing bag limits or C&R only this smacks of a version of the CFP quota system, which is partially to blame for us being in this mess in the first place. There are other issues I have but those are the main ones.

Try having a look at what anglers do to conserve the environment, many already fish to self imposed bag limits, it's extremley rare nowadays that more than a few fish are taken for the pot, even amongs seasoned anglers. The use of circle hooks which increases the number of lip hooked fish, and therefore their survival rate after they are put back, the return of all catches of certian species that are at risk, even the periodic tidy ups and litter meets that are organised from time to time, the work organisations like SSACN do, the list goes on and on.

Sea anglers do quite a lot for conservation and sustainable fishing but now the whole process of the MCZ and the willingness of environmentalist to ban us from the shore has forced a lot of us to become very suspicious of involvement with the process, or any political group.

I hope that goes some way to explaining why I won't be taking part.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Ross,
Perhaps you could get the prof. To answer a different survey, ie.

What is your motivation behind asking students to do your dirty work?

Money, laziness, no-one trusts me, all three.

How much actual research (of your own) was the lamlash ntz based on?

Lots, very little, none, mostly used others.

How long do sea fans and maerl actually take to recover if wiped out?

Decades, centuries, millenia, 2 years in lamlash (with some sort of magic beans)

Feel free to add other pertinent questions....

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
He`s explained who he is and why he`s doing it. I think your time in C and P is making you a bit Para noid. Fill it in,,,or don`t. Simple.
be cautious my friend. there are a few good reasons to be wary of supplying info to anyone. especially with someone associated with callum roberts and the other organisations they are "loosely connected with". its not being paranoid by any one of us. its just that information given, COULD be bent out of shape, as has happened in the past and could come back and bite us in the buttocks.;);)

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Very well put OC, these number crunchers are very dangerous to our much loved past time that we have enjoyed for many decades, they are hell bent on restricting us all in thier proposed marine protection areas, any data we give will be used against us, :nono:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Gentlemen, please. You wouldn't like to be tarred with the same brush as you just have done to the OP. I trust you would never want to be ascociated with the anglers who left a beautiful mark that I fished yesterday in the state that it was when I found it. After all, the OP was honest enough to tell us (albeit an answer to a direct question).

Let's not have this turn into another C&P thread that gets closed due to insults, insinuation and quite frankly down right rudeness, let's keep that to the C&P forums.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all your posts.
There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding what im doing.
This is MY project and nothing to do with Callum Roberts. I came up with the idea, I set out the questions and I am putting in the work to get responses as i personally dont know what the level of feeling is towards conservation or what methods of conservation sea anglers feel is best for the future of sea angling.

Thank you all again for your posts and responses.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Thanks for all your posts.
There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding what im doing.
This is MY project and nothing to do with Callum Roberts. I came up with the idea, I set out the questions and I am putting in the work to get responses as i personally dont know what the level of feeling is towards conservation or what methods of conservation sea anglers feel is best for the future of sea angling.

Thank you all again for your posts and responses.

Just a suggestion mate, wouldn't you have more success doing your report about Lundy?
That's been going for forty years, so the huge success it has obviously been, should provide you with all the data you need.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts