World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't seem to be many Suf-folk who frequent this site but here goes in case someone's on line rather than being on the North Beach! I'm an Anglesey fisherman who occasionally fishes at Lowestoft, hub of the East coast. Will have 3 or 4 days starting next Friday/Saturday. What are the prospects/baits/venues please? Fished there last in August and caught absolutely zilch! Even some of the angling shops had decided not to stock fresh bait! Are the Cod/Whiting/Sole in, or have the inshore trawlers vacuumed everything up once more?

Would appreciate a response!

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for response although a little late! Had a few small Pouting (so small even the Herons were chucking them back!) Very mild weatherwise I thought and only a few out even compared with last year. Heard of some Codling caught particularly in the Hopton beach comp. including a 3 shot on someone's last cast! Also a strong rumour of a 5lb cod off the 'breakwater' at Ness point.

I used a variety of frozen baits plus Fish 'n' Strips (the brown lugworm variety seemed to work quicker and I was experimenting with groudbait which might have helped??) Got my bait and artificials at 'Tackle-X-Change' a grand and very reasonablty priced tackle shop. If you're intend fishing the Lowestoft area this is the place for advice and bait and excellent second-hand gear. It's not really a plug just common sense!

Yarmouth may well be better than Lowestoft just now as I heard of Cod and even a Bass caught from the beach there last week. All anglers that I met were hoping for a good blow to stir things up and then Lowestoft will catch again. Most were even a little desperate as little beyond whiting, dabs and codling seemed to be showing from Dunwich, through Southwold. Kessingland and Pakefield seemed to be producing slightly larger codling and the Junior competition on the pier at Lowestoft had produced a mixed bag of species including small wrasse.

This is a visitor's mumblings. What it needs is for a local to get with it and compile a weekly report AND FORECAST so that I can come down when fish are EXPECTED.

T

·
0 Posts
i live in great yarmout just give me a shout if you want to know whats being caught at any time

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers oh mighty cod father! Next time i'm about the town I'll send for the gen. How about writing in regularly just to whet the appetite!

On home ground this weekend, still using the groundbait. Have a look at the thread on the Welsh forum, it seems to be generating interest and some food (!!) for thought.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I live near north beach, and go there when time permits, i took a 1.5lb codling the other week and have heard of some good catches within last 2 weeks so I am suprised you did not fare better.

it has been a bit calm lately though

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to hear of your catch. This time last year I also had a similar fish after lots of blanks. I stay in Oulton Village and find North Beach easiest to get to. Sparrows Nest is close by if I feel peckish and it's somewhere I can go to meet my better half if she and her mother have the car!

My favourite spot along there is Ness Point. It's not that I've caught much there but the rocks remind me of home! I was there as the Sun came up on the longest day this year, what a sight! I've used a float and done some plugging there for the bass that are supposed to inhabit the spot. I once saw a chap there with a drop net after some sizeable Prawns. Not sure if he wasn't eating them but they'd have made cracking bait. I've made a drop net for another time.

It seems that night is best on your beaches and its not something I do in Wales as the tides move you about as they come in, unlike on the North beach! I bought a re-chargeable lamp at QD in Gorleston (£19.95) Great lamp but too powerful even with just one bulb (about 1 hour) so I'm going to try fittting a lower wattage bulb. As it is you can clearly make people out as they walk the seawall from the water's edge. (1 million candle power is claimed) Tackle X-change had a cracking secondhand lamps but that was after I'd bought the damn searchlight!

Let you know when next I'm down in the new year. Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts