World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
15,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If camping on a beach be very aware of the tide.

Ideally try and plan your camping when you have two high tides in daylight hours. Daytime high tides are always lower than nightime highs. Spring tides will be even higher.

Tue 29th Jul 2008
08:54 - 2.87m H
21:18 - 2.97m H

Tue 5th Aug 2008
02:27 - 3.59m H
15:20 - 3.10m H

(Largs Times. +1hr BST)

As you can see for Tue 29th there's a 10cm difference, both daytime highs.

For Tue 5th there's nearly a 50cm difference between day and night highs.

50cm is a big difference when your camping on a beach. The water will come up the beach an extra 20, 30, 40ft or whatever depending on the beach.

Also remember tide heights change from day to day so because it was OK one night doesn't mean it will be OK the next.

This photo was taken at Loch Etive. The first night there was no problem with the tide. The second night it came to within a foot of our tents. Can see it's already destroyed the fire.

acamping.JPG

Enjoy your camping.

Stevie. :)

(Posted this in a thread in the the Scottish Forum. Felt it might be worthwhile leaving it in here too. Hope no-one minds.)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Whenever I go near the shore I read the tide table first! What are the legalities of camping on the foreshore anyway? As far as I was concerned the bit above the high tide mark is owned by someone but the bit between high and low water is free for everyone. Am I right?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'd never go on a beach without checking times of tides no matter what. I'd also know what a tide will look like on any beach I fish normally as I've been there for the highest of tides and the lowest so I can gauge how far a high tide will come up and this is where I would set up camp.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd suggest that the "no mans land" between the high water line and the low water line would not be the best place to pitch a tent :nono:

:wave:

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
You cant by law wild camp in England or Wales (barring I think Dartmoor which has a local bylaw - you'd have to check that though).

Scotland has the right to roam and wild camping is allowed but there are some basic guidlines that all wildcampers should follow - if interested googling will soon locate them.

Personally my experience of seeing 'fisherman' wild camping on British and Welsh shore is mostly negative - fires lit on grass scaring it for tens of years, beer cans left everywhere, dead dogfish around, burnt plastic bottles, puddles of pish etc etc.

·
Registered
673 Posts
If camping on a beach be very aware of the tide.

Ideally try and plan your camping when you have two high tides in daylight hours. Daytime high tides are always lower than nighttime highs. Spring tides will be even higher.

Tue 29th Jul 2008
08:54 - 2.87m H
21:18 - 2.97m H

Tue 5th Aug 2008
02:27 - 3.59m H
15:20 - 3.10m H

(Largs Times. +1hr BST)

As you can see for Tue 29th there's a 10cm difference, both daytime highs.

For Tue 5th there's nearly a 50cm difference between day and night highs.

50cm is a big difference when your camping on a beach. The water will come up the beach an extra 20, 30, 40ft or whatever depending on the beach.

Also remember tide heights change from day to day so because it was OK one night doesn't mean it will be OK the next.

This photo was taken at Loch Etive. The first night there was no problem with the tide. The second night it came to within a foot of our tents. Can see it's already destroyed the fire.

View attachment 20509

Enjoy your camping.

Stevie. :)

(Posted this in a thread in the the Scottish Forum. Felt it might be worthwhile leaving it in here too. Hope no-one minds.)

Time of day or night makes absolutely no difference to tide heights.Tides are governed by the gravitational pull of the sun AND moon,just because it is daylight does not mean the tide is going to be lower than at night.
Dave

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Time of day or night makes absolutely no difference to tide heights.Tides are governed by the gravitational pull of the sun AND moon,just because it is daylight does not mean the tide is going to be lower than at night.
Dave
At the risk of sounding like the type of person that rubs me up the wrong way , I think you'll find if you look in any tide table , that tides tend to be bigger (be it high or low ) at night . NOT ALWAYS , but generally . Have a look at www.pdports.co.uk this is the tide table I & the Tees Port authority use . Most of the night tides are bigger ,again highs or lows .Sorry that link doesn't give tide tables .

·
Registered
673 Posts
At the risk of sounding like the type of person that rubs me up the wrong way , I think you'll find if you look in any tide table , that tides tend to be bigger (be it high or low ) at night . NOT ALWAYS , but generally . Have a look at www.pdports.co.uk this is the tide table I & the Tees Port authority use . Most of the night tides are bigger ,again highs or lows .
Just the way it happens sometimes ,got nothing to do with the fact of day or night tho ,the moon is still there lol even in the middle of the day,like for now we are starting to build toward springs it is just coincidence if the higher tides are at night.
Dave

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Just the way it happens sometimes ,got nothing to do with the fact of day or night tho ,the moon is still there lol even in the middle of the day,like for now we are starting to build toward springs it is just coincidence if the higher tides are at night.
Dave
Here's a frinstance,

WED 02:08 h 4.6m
08:36 l 1.3m

14:43 h 4.8m
21:08 l 1.4m

That todays tides at Hartelpool , taken from the pdports tide table .

Now as you say the tides are on the build

MON 4th Aug
06:11 h 5.6m
12:04 l 0.3m

18:45 h 5.4m
00:16 l 0.9m

We normally have a couple of 6m tides in August, thats when the influx of macky bashers come out of the woodwork , but not this year 5.6 is the max for Hartlepool .

By the way , whats the tides like down there at the mo (along the south coast ) times etc .... Cheers !!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
From HW mark up the local council would be responsible below high water belongs to queen and country.

G

·
What on earth is this post about and why on earth would anyone camp (illegally) without checking tide tables first?

If I was to be at a beachside for a period of a day or more then I would set up my base above the spring tide high water line (above the top row of seaweed) then you wold be 100% sure you'd not get flooded (save for a Tsunami).

Surely a little common sense is required?

Tom

·
Registered
673 Posts
Here's a frinstance,

WED 02:08 h 4.6m
08:36 l 1.3m

14:43 h 4.8m
21:08 l 1.4m

That todays tides at Hartelpool , taken from the pdports tide table .

Now as you say the tides are on the build

MON 4th Aug
06:11 h 5.6m
12:04 l 0.3m

18:45 h 5.4m
00:16 l 0.9m

We normally have a couple of 6m tides in August, thats when the influx of macky bashers come out of the woodwork , but not this year 5.6 is the max for Hartlepool .

By the way , whats the tides like down there at the mo (along the south coast ) times etc .... Cheers !!!!
been on bristol channel mostly of late,now there's some tides lol,high water yesterday afternoon was just after five pm at 10.2metres next high at 0510at 10.8metres then 1739 at 11.3 metres.
I use the bbc site which i find just great for working out tides and times ,but if you have a particular area and date in mind let me know and i will get straight back to you .
Dave

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
In case any one is interested in the tide down here in Jersey!

http://www.thisisjersey.com/lifestyle/tide-times/

The tables are also printed daily in our newspaper over here, and I have copies of this years tables in my 'bait fishing' rucksack, my 'lure fishing' sling bag, and also another sat in the drawer at home. I wouldnt even leave the house without knowing the times dead on the nose, and the exact height, as not only is it extremely dangerous to do so, if affects whether or not I'm going to catch!

·
Banned
15,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave
I've seen day and night tides on the same day and the night time tide is always higher.

Think this graph shows that nightime highs are higher than daytime highs.

plottide.png

At the start of the graph they're close together. This is when the two high tides fall in daylight hours. Already mentioned this in the first post of the thread, also mentioned it changes from one night to the other. Can see the further into the night it gets, the higher the tide.

Scotland has the right to roam and wild camping is allowed but there are some basic guidlines that all wildcampers should follow - if interested googling will soon locate them.
camp (illegally)

Tom
Depends what part of the country your from.

What on earth is this post about and why on earth would anyone camp (illegally) without checking tide tables first?

Tom
Just to try and warm people. There's always new members who might not be aware of how high tides can come in.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts

Tom

Well Tom , I was having a lighter discussion on the highs and lows of our countries tidal movements . All nice and cheerful .

been on bristol channel mostly of late,now there's some tides lol,high water yesterday afternoon was just after five pm at 10.2metres next high at 0510at 10.8metres then 1739 at 11.3 metres.
I use the bbc site which i find just great for working out tides and times ,but if you have a particular area and date in mind let me know and i will get straight back to you .
Dave
Thank you , but don't go to any trouble as I thought you might have had something to hand :victory:

Going on our jollies on Staurday , near Wareham :bounce: can't wait .

I've seen day and night tides on the same day and the night time tide is always higher.

You mention the sun, if it's dark and the sun is at the opposite side of the earth then obviously it's going to have a different effect than it would have a different effect than it would have if it was daylight and on this side.

Was to warn unsuspecting people to be aware of the tides if camping.
We don't all go out with tape rules to measure heights and use Pythagoras Theorem to work out how far up a beach the water is going to rise.

Thought it would be a good post for newbies. Obviously not, everyone in here seems to know it all as it is.

No -stevie- contrary to popular belief , no-one knows it all .
And I dislike people who think they do .
Yes it was very thoughtful of you to think of "The Green Newbie"

I asked earlier "what brought this thread about ?" I was hinting at "has it happened to you lately ?
Cos no matter how well you know your area , theres always a chance of getting caught out or forgetting something .

Why only the other week , I was fishing a local pier and there was something niggling me . It took some time , but it came to me AHA !! Bummer !! I'd only come out and put a spoon in the knife draw :eek:hmy:
Now that was worrying .:wacko:

·
Banned
15,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No -stevie- contrary to popular belief , no-one knows it all .
And I dislike people who think they do .
Yes it was very thoughtful of you to think of "The Green Newbie"

I asked earlier "what brought this thread about ?" I was hinting at "has it happened to you lately ?
Sorry about that. One of those days. Have edited it out.

You asked if it's happened lately? Yes. lol

Was camping in Arran a couple of weeks ago. Where camped in a nice field behind an embankment and next to a river. All very scenic. During the night the tide came in. Up the river and round the embankment. Noticed a puddle in the field that wasn't there before and it wasn't raining. The puddle was growing and was soon a small pond. A genuine "Oh Sh*t" moment.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Sorry about that. One of those days. Have edited it out.

You asked if it's happened lately? Yes. lol

Was camping in Arran a couple of weeks ago. Where camped in a nice field behind an embankment and next to a river. All very scenic. During the night the tide came in. Up the river and round the embankment. Noticed a puddle in the field that wasn't there before and it wasn't raining. The puddle was growing and was soon a small pond. A genuine "Oh Sh*t" moment.

Have a look at this . This is where Loch Morar empties out into the sea . People camp along here at this time of year , sometimes theres only about 10ft of beach left .

and here's the campsite we use .Thats us caravan and awning on the left near the static .

Its very scenic up there Arisaig , theres campsites pretty close to each other .

some times theres no sand left here . But as far as the fishinng goes you need a boat ,or go up to Malaig near the fish quay and ferry port .

We'll be back up there next year :laugh:

·
Banned
15,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very nice. :)

Don't go to Arran campsite. It got flooded recently. People had to get helicopter lifted out. That was the rain that caused that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts