World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if two sounders can work at the same time on a small boat (QS560) I don't think this can be done because of the return "pings" confusing the other systems, but if it can I would like to add a second system, perhaps a Black Box FF520 module to add to my Standard Horizon 300 plotter.

I have a colour Navman 4500 f/finder using a 200/50kHz dual requency transducer. I could buy a black box FF520 and connect to my existing Standard Horizon 300 plotter or for about that price £230, I could even buy a stand alone unit.

Why do I want a second unit? I am not totally happy with the colour one that came with the boat (interference at speed and I was much happier with the Garmin 240 Blue on my old boat). These are discontinued although I could get one from the United States for less than £200!

Anybody know if this can be done or not?

Regards

Harry

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'll let you know in about two weeks time.
I have a garmin 160 and Humminbird 997SI combo with side image and forward looking transducer through a switch.

I doubt if they will work together as they are side by side and the shoot through further forward.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi Harry,

It depends if the 2 units are on different frequencies or not. I had no problems with a Raymarine dx600 200khz and a Lowrance 192khz sounder working side by side on my last boat.
If you do a search on this site the subject has been asked and answered before.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never considered the frequencies!

My first thoughts compare this to several radio controlled aeroplanes flying together (as they do). If they were all on the same frequency, I'm sure there would be a few disasters so they each have different bands to work on. If sounders work alongside each other because they are using different frequencies this may have answered my question but I will research a bit and look for the previous threads.

Thanks everybody.

Regards

Harry

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive just read the spec on my Navman 4500 --- Is it possible that I have made an almighty boob when setting it up? The interference when I throttle up is sometimes really bad. The spec says simply switch to "Cruise" FOR HIGH SPEED. I always have it turned on to "FISHING" mode so maybe it is my fault that I havn't played with it enough.

I reserve my judgment on the set to another day when I can get out and test it using "CRUISE"!!!

Copied from Spec;
The FISH 4500 is a 5'' TFT Color screen, sunlight viewable with brilliant Colors offers superb viewing in all light conditions. State of the art sonar technology gives incredible target detail and sharp bottom contours in shallow and deep waters.

Fishing is easy with Navman’s automatic range and gain settings: choose "Cruise" for high speed performance and "Fish" once you’ve reached your favorite fishing spot.

I Might not need a second set if this works without interference on "CRUISE". :unsure:

Regards

Harry

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Harry,
My QS640 came with a pretty naff Navman monochrome fishfinder and I bought the CP300 plus FF520. They do work together - most of the time - you can see interfrence from the FF520 on the Navman's screen, but not usually the other way around.
You may find some fairly disgruntled posts about the FF520 from me on here as I don't think it's as good at picking up fish near the bottom as some much cheaper units. The software interface between the CP300 and the FF520 also is not very good and it's far from intuitive to switch back out of the fishfinder mode into CP300 in a hurry when you need to.

Funnily enough I was thinking of upgrading to the Navman colour unit (presumably the same as yours), and simply disconnecting the FF520 (not least because the ping is loud and runs all the time even if you are in plotter mode).
If you do go for the FF520 and it requires you to 'reset' the fish alarm whenever it finds a fish, then contact Standard Horizon and they'll send you a firmware upgrade.
By the way the FF520 also has fishing and cruising mode, but in either mode it seems to hold bottom brilliantly even in pretty choppy conditions.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funnily enough I was thinking of upgrading to the Navman colour unit (presumably the same as yours), and simply disconnecting the FF520 (not least because the ping is loud and runs all the time even if you are in plotter mode).
If you do go for the FF520 and it requires you to 'reset' the fish alarm whenever it finds a fish, then contact Standard Horizon and they'll send you a firmware upgrade.
By the way the FF520 also has fishing and cruising mode, but in either mode it seems to hold bottom brilliantly even in pretty choppy conditions.

=====================================================
Mike,

I have now read the spots off the maual and I can only blame myself when set it up. I have just ran it in simulator mode and I can see what I did wrong (I didn't realise that you can "play" in simulator mode merely thinking it was a demo)! Simulator mode shows how brilliant the set is! Assuming that in real mode there is no interference in CRUISE mode, I will give the set another chance. I take your point about the FF520 and this was just an option, I would much sooner try and get on with my Navman 4500 so I will try and make things work out.

Regards

Harry

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My Koden @ 120khz occasionally interferes with my 200khz lowrance - I get a line of marks going diagonally up the screen, but they don't really cause me trouble. Other boats with 200khz sounders in close proximity do cause problematical interference though, the screen looks a bit like the matrix!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good replies thanks lads. I don't know when I will get out again but I'm fairly sure that I have found the problem. Wrong setting!!!

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I never considered the frequencies!

My first thoughts compare this to several radio controlled aeroplanes flying together (as they do). If they were all on the same frequency, I'm sure there would be a few disasters so they each have different bands to work on. If sounders work alongside each other because they are using different frequencies this may have answered my question but I will research a bit and look for the previous threads.

Thanks everybody.

Regards

Harry
Planes have to be on 35mhz!!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I have the Standard Horizon black box with my 300 as well as an old B&W fishfinder and they work ok. I am finding both the plotter and fishfinder tricky to use - the manuals are written for the experience techies! It is good that the plotter works in split screen mode so that you can use the fishfinder at the same time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts