World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have ordered myself some crimps and crimp tools beads etc.

the only problem i have is selecting a swivel and tubing for attaching snoods.

does anyone no sizes of swivels and tubing size to match possibly links for swivels and tubing.

thanx

·
Registered
728 Posts
Look at the breaking strains quoted for swivels. At the end of the leader or at the top of your rig, you need swivel that same as, or preferably 50% stronger than, the rig body. For hook snoods, you can use swivels as small as 40 lbs breaking strain for light traces, or stronger as required.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks for this thread... Just one question of my own if I may ?

What does the breaking strain of the swivel have in relation to the breaking strain of the snood (and or) main line ?

I.E... For shockleader and lead weight the standard is to multiply the weight of of the lead by 10 to equal the weight of the shockleader breaking strain required

Cheers

·
Registered
728 Posts
As far as I am aware, the breaking strain of a swivel is the strain that would be required to break it in a straight-line pull. Other factors such as corrosion or mechanical damage can also affect a swivel. So make sure it is stronger than the line attached to it.

·
Read Only
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i use a bimmini twist for my lomg snoods to act as a kind of boom but i need to know what size of tubing i need on say a 40lb swivel.

thanx

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ah, I see what you mean ... but sorry, I don't use tubing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My best advice for tying rigs is to buy some then copy them, they give you the right length for snoods and main trace body to avoid tangles.
I just got a hold of some Moonfleet rigs. All I can say is they are awesome. I wish these rigs where out when I first starting tying rigs. amazing piece of kit

·
Registered
21 Posts
My best advice for tying rigs is to buy some then copy them, they give you the right length for snoods and main trace body to avoid tangles.
I just got a hold of some Moonfleet rigs. All I can say is they are awesome. I wish these rigs where out when I first starting tying rigs. amazing piece of kit
thats the way I started tying my own, then after a while start experimenting with ya own ideas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.