World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, caught this little chappie today:1a: lol but what is it?:doh: a baby mullet possibly?

Also caught several small wrasse, 5 more mullet (thick lipped i think?) and the suprise catch of the day for me was a nice little bass:1a:

No fish for tea tho, they were all safely retuned for another day:love:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
think so...they used to turn up at the c/v a lot.
were you fishing inshore over sandy bottom?
i guess so by the other specie4s you had,but thats what i think it is.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was fishing an estury, over mud but there are shoals of sandsmelt on the other side!
sure its not a baby mullet? i was fishing for mullet! and is the mullet in photo a thick lip or golden grey?

sorry to ask, but if you don't ask you will never know:wallbash::2::doh:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Sand Smelt,most likely,but certainly a member of the Atherinidae.
Never caught one, so I couldn't tell you what it smelt of, although it is supposed to smell of cucumber.
Cheers,
Davey.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it was slimey and it had a yellowy tinge acrross the font flanks which aren't that visible on the pic:doh:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Deffo a sand smelt.....get them quite often in the sandeel net. cheers Steve.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Smelt is a Sand Smelt (Atherina presbyter)

The Mullet is a thicklip .. sorry :(

(Gold spot is not vivid, pectoral fin is too short and top lip too big)

This is a Golden grey

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a better shot...i'm sure its a golden, looked different to the others i had, was distinctly yellowy green on the top, only small, so maybe a small thick lip baby, not sure, only just started to fish for mullet!

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Thanks that picture is a lot clearer.

Ok comparing the two pictures you will see the top lip on your fish is quite a bit larger than the one on the Golden grey picture that I posted. Also the pectoral fin is not elongated as much as the one in my picture and it doesn't seem to have the small scales at the base of the fin as per mine. The Golden spot is more a blotch on yours rather than a clear spot.

With this in mind I'm still going for it being a small Thick lipped.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hiya,

Thanks that picture is a lot clearer.

Ok comparing the two pictures you will see the top lip on your fish is quite a bit larger than the one on the Golden grey picture that I posted. Also the pectoral fin is not elongated as much as the one in my picture and it doesn't seem to have the small scales at the base of the fin as per mine. The Golden spot is more a blotch on yours rather than a clear spot.

With this in mind I'm still going for it being a small Thick lipped.
:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: cool thanks very much, i'll keep tying then lol:thumbs: once you pointed out the fin, it is quite clear now, the difference. must admit it was the colour that got me, cos he was different than the others i had caught, but he was also smaller than the others

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Saltiga Pencil Lyne very expensive plug , could be mine I reckon, lost one down there anyway.
Smelt definatly :thumbs:
Use it as live bait Mmm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts