World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do understand that we are two countries separated by a common language. With this in mind I have made every effort to understand British English and in the process have become bilingual.
There’s the wonderful self-explanatory “have-a-go hero that I heard on British TV recently. But then there are those arcane phrases and words that remain mysteriously secret to me even to this day.
What the heck is “course fishing?” I see the term used on this forum and in British fishing magazines, but with no explanation. Does it refer to fishing for some less desirable species of fish or even possible in some circumscribed area?
Thanks,
Hog

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi,

Course fishing is angling for non-salt water fish in ponds, lakes and rivers which are considered "fresh water" as opposed to sea fishing in "salt water" which is done either in the sea, off a boat or beach or in tidal estuaries.

Hope this helps

Graham

·
Registered
325 Posts
Another point in your education Blindhog, as a rule we rarely eat coarse fish, I think most are unsuitable, whereas we eat lots of sea fish, most of which are suitable. To confuse you even more, game fish, which are mainly trout and salmon, can be caught in fresh or sea water and are regularly eaten. Confused, good, then you can join the rest of us.

Fred

PS Ta

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hog,

After the replies you had. Do you have the same rules and regulations across the pond. Would be nice to know?

Woodster

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leon Roskilly said:
er, it's spelled coarse fishing.
Gentlemen, thank you all. Leon, I found the article that you referred me to very enlightening. The part about the 36-foot long fishing rods was particularly intriguing.

Woodster, the rules and regulations vary by state and region. For instance in Florida there are different rules for the Gulf and the Atlantic.

Tight lines to you all.
Hog

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Blindhog
You can only claim to bilingual in English when you not only understand the rules of cricket but are capable of explaining them to a third party without confusing him or her or yourself and why do your fishing tackle shops put out fliers which don't specify rod lengths, casting weight ranges etc.
AND why is your tackle the same price in dollars as ours is in pounds stirling
AND why can you buy a boat with a large outboard fitted, for less than we pay for the engine only.
Blow bilingual I'm going over there to discover the downsides of being a yank in the US of A.
Apert from censorship, crap TV, Bush (a uk make of TV) 50mpg speed limits, no consumer protection act, being foreign,--------------

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gonefishin said:
AND why can you buy a boat with a large outboard fitted, for less than we pay for the engine only?
Blow bilingual I'm going over there to discover the downsides of being a yank in the US of A.
And these downsides you speak of?
Would you include twin 200s in that list? ;)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yup Blindhog, those whoppers look like a real drawback.

How can you put up with them? I mean, they get you fishing in 10 minutes instead of 2 hours, they mean you can try water a hundred miles away and still be home in time for supper.

Errr, real drawbacks - We couldn't afford to run them here with fuel at $5.96 for a US gallon. I guess they burn a lot of fuel. I suppose you would need ear defenders too.

I'd still have them though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lewisteh said:
I mean, they get you fishing in 10 minutes instead of 2 hours, they mean you can try water a hundred miles away and still be home in time for supper. I guess they burn a lot of fuel.
Running north of the appropriately named Content Keys we were burning what averaged out to be 1.6 nautical miles per gallon.
That particular trip was a total of 165 nautical miles round trip and we burned a total of 100 gallons of fuel, or half a tank. That works out to be $210 or £105. Or about £25 per person on that day, which I might add was outstanding.
Do you wanna see the pictures?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yep, pics would be good - but the 1.6 miles to a gallon scares me silly - that would be $600 I guess for the same trip at our fuel prices.

The pic you already left was a good un too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts