World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I was wondering if any of you could help me? Why is it that When you fish the coast from Brighton to Shoreham over the summer months you catch Little Rays very often, yet there is never a rays of any size caught (to my knowledge). There must be bigger rays there at some point if its only for spawning? Or is it that no body fishes for them on this part of the coast and heads to grounds further a field?

I may be way off the mark but i though i would ask the question?

Tight lines

Alan:help:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I know thornbacks come to the larger estuaries to spawn but then migrate back to deeper water. Perhaps this is common of many species - they spawn close offshore (out of range of shore fishing for the most part) so their offspring have suitable feeding grounds for thier size close by or so they are out of reach of larger predators. This is just a guess though.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
I've often wondered the same thing. Either the feeding and terrain just suits them, or itspossible that the egg sacks get washed in to what is quite a lazy tide flow compared to further out. One things for sure, the bigger ones arent here in any numbers, or they would be caught far more often, even if not targetted. I've heard whispers of some banks only castable at low tide along the Sussex coast, where biggr rays can be found, and I should imagine it is quite feasible, as they are a regular encounter only a little way off. Widewater had a flurry of 2-6lb undulates a couple of autumns ago!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The HDSA boats usually pick up quite a few but further out. Maybe there's a little too much surf in the areas that are in casting distance of the shore and they prefer it a little more protected in the deeper water?:g:

Best

A

1 - 4 of 4 Posts