World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Swansea 21.24 12m
Barry 21.51 14.7m

Deeps/Witches will be around 21.35 high tide. It's a big one so keep an eye on the swells. ;)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hi
A good source of tidal info (for up to 6 days in advance) is by taking a look on the BBC news website, weather, Seas and tides (coastal) and click on the port nearest to where you wish to go. It has a tide table and graphs so you can plan your session in advance.

Im off to the Knapp tonight to see if the doggies are in!

Have fun and do check that web for the tides.

Nick

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Hi spangler
have a look at this link

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/easytide/EasyTide/SelectPort.aspx .

i use it, very good. you can get a 7 day prediction and print it off.
hope it helps
NO!! NO!! NO!! NO!! This little chestnut keeps coming up on this forum Easy tide is meant to be used in conjunction with nautical charts and uses different datum for working out heights and if you read them straight off they can be out by metres and sooner or later somebody is going to get trapped by an incoming tide and killed!!!! The tide times are usually ok give or take 15 mins (they are just converted from thames times ) but the heights will catch you out unless you have access to and can read local navigational charts!!!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Hi
A good source of tidal info (for up to 6 days in advance) is by taking a look on the BBC news website, weather, Seas and tides (coastal) and click on the port nearest to where you wish to go. It has a tide table and graphs so you can plan your session in advance.

Im off to the Knapp tonight to see if the doggies are in!

Have fun and do check that web for the tides.

Nick
NO!!! NO!!!! NO!!!! NO!!!!!!
Please see my previous reply regarding Easy Tide because the same applies to BBC Tidal predictions . For example it gives a height for Newport tomorrow of less than 10m when in actual fact it is 11.7 m !!!!!so if you were to attempt to fish a low water mark such as the one at Redwick you could easily get cut off and drowned !!!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
NO!! NO!! NO!! NO!! This little chestnut keeps coming up on this forum Easy tide is meant to be used in conjunction with nautical charts and uses different datum for working out heights and if you read them straight off they can be out by metres and sooner or later somebody is going to get trapped by an incoming tide and killed!!!! The tide times are usually ok give or take 15 mins (they are just converted from thames times ) but the heights will catch you out unless you have access to and can read local navigational charts!!!
can't see the problem here. just compared the website with my tide table and looked at the height of tide in milford. there is a slight variation in times and heights. in todays case, 2 minutes at high tide and 2 cm. That will not cause any one any harm. fishguard is also 2 minutes out.

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
i've got to butt in on this one lads............Easytide is good for times but as yatoes says do not trust it for tide height!!

Used easytide once to check height and high tide time and was pushed back to the cliff down Penarth! Was not expecting that at all! Managed to get off the beach just in time.....all the gear and me would have had a soaking otherwise!

Good on times but don't trust the sizes belive me!!!

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Check out the current predictions on Easy Tide

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0513&PredictionLength=7

They give a tide height for Barry tonight of 11 metres, the actual tide height for Barry is 13.7 metres. That is not a "Slight" difference, and could mean the difference between an enjoyable safe session and being washed off a rock ledge!

As Yatoes has posted, don't trust it. Use it for tide times by all means and if you're on a beach with plenty of room and no chance of being cut off then that's fine. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts