World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I've recently discovered that my rubber net mesh has been damaged by mice. Is it possible to repair this?Can you buy rubber net mesh and splice it in or can you use ordinary mesh and coat it with a "rubber" solution?
Failing all else who would you recommend as a supplier for a replacement rubber net.
The net in question is made by Savage gear who do not seem to offer replacement nets.
Any advice and suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
Itma

WSF Primary Administrator.
Hi everyone,
I've recently discovered that my rubber net mesh has been damaged by mice. Is it possible to repair this?Can you buy rubber net mesh and splice it in or can you use ordinary mesh and coat it with a "rubber" solution?
Failing all else who would you recommend as a supplier for a replacement rubber net.
The net in question is made by Savage gear who do not seem to offer replacement nets.
Any advice and suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
Itma
Lol.......tried to do this myself this year as a mouse chomped down on all my nets :(

Couldn't find a way to do it........even rang Snowbee about my scoop net and they told me I had to buy another 'whole' net with the frame.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Lol.......tried to do this myself this year as a mouse chomped down on all my nets :(

Couldn't find a way to do it........even rang Snowbee about my scoop net and they told me I had to buy another 'whole' net with the frame.
Thanks Nick, sort of glad I'm not the only one who has this problem.
Let's hope there is someone out there with a solution (pun what pun).

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Nick,
What about the rapstrap see www.rapstrap.com a soft rubber reusable strap? Or those rubber straps sold in garden centres for securing stems and branches?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Marc & Malks for your suggestions which I'll bear in mind.
At the moment I have another idea for a repair - I'll let you know how I get on.

Registered
Thanks Marc & Malks for your suggestions which I'll bear in mind.
At the moment I have another idea for a repair - I'll let you know how I get on.
I look forward to hearing as I am sure to burst mine at some stage :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Eventually decided on a quick and simple method - use cable ties!
First cut off loose ends so you know are connecting mesh to mesh, not mesh to loose end.
Next pass cable tie through mesh and pull sides together. You may not want to close the cable tie completely as this may deform the net.
I only went side to side of damaged area, didn't bother to go end to end
Next cut off the tag end of the cable tie as close as possible to the locking part to reduce likelihood of injury to fish.
Repeat until satisfied.
It may not pretty but it's quick, cheap, easy,and promises to work.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Did consider using Amnesia but thought that could be fiddly.
Anyway I'll see how the cable ties perform, if they don't I'l have to get my sewing box out.
I suppose another alternative is to use strips cut from a cycle inner tube.
Whatever I use I want to able to easily remove hooks from it without causing (too much) damage to the material.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Hi everyone,
After a bit of thought I decided to remove the cable ties and use "Power Gum" to repair the mesh.
Although weaker than the cable ties it will be much kinder to the fish. However the strength isn't so crucial for 2 reasons:-
  1. a single strand of gum will not have to take all the strain as it is part of a mesh;
  2. the slight stretchiness of the gum will help absorb some of the load it experiences.
I'll let you know how I get on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts