World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Probably about 1971 - a small brown trout - I kept it in a bucket in Grandads back garden till it went belly up later that day (it was caught in the Towy)

Was a blast seeing my little boy keep his first eel in his Grandads (my dads) garden in Penarth earlier this year - took ages to die (didnt have the heart to force a release - all part of growing up - that and pulling legs off insects n all)

My boys first fish was a 3 or 4lb carp aged 4 or so..........

G

·
Summer 1956. Bamboo rod, centre pin pressed steel reel. Still got the reel. I think the rod was recycled for growing sweet peas, or something.

·
Registered
840 Posts
1981 (10 years old) Grayling from the river Irfon on a worm two years after a bucket caught flatty that had been stranded in a pool on the beach at Burnham on sea.

·
Registered
555 Posts
1987 is probably my first memory of actually landing one myself. I was 7, catching mackerel from Newquay Headland.

1981 (10 years old) Grayling from the river Irfon on a worm two years after a bucket caught flatty that had been stranded in a pool on the beach at Burnham on sea.
Talking of stranded flatties, I had my first 'hand' caught fish earlier this year. As I walked accross a local beach at 7am I spotted what I thought was a dead fish lying upside down on the sand. I walked over and saw that it was a flounder of about a pound. On turning it over for a better look I quickly found out that it was STILL ALIVE!! A good 100m from the sea!!!! :eek:hmy:

I picked it up, held on tight and ran the fastest 100m time I've done in more than a decade! Held him in the water for a couple of minutes and eventually he plucked up the courage to swim off. Couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
1979 (6 years old) a brown trout from the river Liddel on a rubbish spinning rod and reel bought from Woolworths. The best bit was that opposite me was a guy fly fishing with all the gear. You should have seen the sour look on his face when I pulled out that fish on my toy rod:happy:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Earliest memory was catching Dace on the Kennet in Newbury, keeping them in a bucket. Would have been around 1987 when I was about 6. Sea fishing wasn't until a holiday to Jersey when about 11, first sea fish was a Bass of about 3lb on live sandeel! First on a lure was a trout on a Mepps from a carp fishery, bit random.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
1977, age 5, chalk stream brown trout.
Woolworths kit fishingrod and reel.
Freelining bread flake and lobworms through the weeds and under the bridges.
First day at primary school, I bunked off the afternoon and went fishing, nothing changes!

·
Registered
887 Posts
1974, Brown Trout on a spinner which looked like a coca cola can with a red and white wavy stripe. Its was a nice one at that, 1.5 pounds from a local river. Took me years to better it. Still driver over the bridge where I caught it at nearly ever other day.

Its mental where catching that one fish has taken me years down the line.

Always thought of myself as being lucky to have a pastime such as fishing. Its taken me away from and to lots of places

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
1969 at teignmouth in devon, my father rented a clinkerbuilt rowing boat and i caught a string of mackerel using an octagonal split cane rod, and my father used quality street flat toffee wrappers whipped onto the hooks as feathers,,,

·
Registered
432 Posts
1957, 6 years old. Broken built cane fly rod taped together, 7 ft of line tied to top eye, single hook and worm. Small burn near Gleneagles station, Brownie that memory has as enormous (about 5oz then lol).
Still my greatest passion all these years later. Saw the same happen to one of my boys on the Dorset Stour at Blandford circa 1987 when he caught a pikeof about 3 lb. He's been hooked ever since too

·
Registered
557 Posts
King George VI was on the throne

Garden cane, string and a genuine bent pin fishing for minnows in a brook

The jam jar was full very quickly, and they all went in the sink when I got home. A thick ear followed shortly for getting wet feet.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Ha you are a bad one mike ....... know who sent you that :g:

It will come back and bite you on the butt , if mick gets any pics :clap2:

It was crime watch where you got it wasnt it:bleh:

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,707 Posts
Ah yes 1978, remember that era..................lol

nice scarf though mate.............lol

:clap::clap::clap::bleh::bleh::bleh:my god ,looks like an extra for dr who , knit it your self or doug do it , before the bell ringing :bleh::bleh::bleh: just william , bet you had long shorts at school to , when all around you wore trouser s :clap::fishing1:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
7 yrs old

Boxing day - A xmas tank aerial rod and a centrepin reel - on the pilot pier at hartlepool -

mum stood dutifully in the background - freezing to death -

me with me duffel coat wide open and short trousers on - snake belt

for about 2 hours - she stood by - while I caught about 20 pennick (young pollack)

then the walk to the bus - glowing with pride cos I had caught more fish than anyone else

just like it was yesterday

Al

1 - 20 of 25 Posts