World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a couple of hours out today to use some up some rag I'd dug the other day. I should go out to use bait up more often. Had fish out within minutes of starting and in conditions that were less than ideal :confused:

Anyway I aint complaining when my catch consisted of these :D

The kids ceratinly enjoy it when dad has a lucky session

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Well done Sean. I assumed an open beach would be a struggle so headed for Shields pier today, had a few tiddlers out but no sign of codling, looks like they were all some 20 odd miles further south.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well done mate, Cracking catch that, And that cheesy topped fishpie looks yummy, Bet it went down a treat with the family, Welldone.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
nice one bet they didn't come out to worm crab possibly.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
nice one bet they didn't come out to worm crab possibly.
The obsession with crab is a strange one. I must have had 20 size codling last September, all taken on worm bait and not one on crab. If I'd listened to Sean I'd probably have had a few more as well and he wasn't advising me to get some crab:secret:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Just i have found fresh crab better over the years thats all.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just i have found fresh crab better over the years thats all.
Dont get me wrong I wouldn't be without crab early season. However, ragworm fishes very well and shouldn't be overlooked. Last season I fished next to two other anglers using fresh crab, I had ragworm and crab. I took 10 fish on straight rag while the lads using fresh crab only managed 4 fish between them.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
The obsession with crab is a strange one. I must have had 20 size codling last September, all taken on worm bait and not one on crab. If I'd listened to Sean I'd probably have had a few more as well and he wasn't advising me to get some crab:secret:
A lot of your marks are clean ground shots. The marks north of the Tyne are mostly Mixed/heavy ground hence why crab is more popular up here.

This time of year I'll def have one bait in my bucket and it begins with C.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lot of your marks are clean ground shots. The marks north of the Tyne are mostly Mixed/heavy ground hence why crab is more popular up here.

This time of year I'll def have one bait in my bucket and it begins with C.
Dont get me wrong Ive spent all summer stockpiling crab, I wouldn't be without it until November. But a lot of anglers dont see past it, whereas imo ragworm and mussel fish really well this early in the season.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I don't know the marks. I would think If you're fishing heavy ground that crab would be the best bait by far.

Then again, I prob have my crab goggles on! :)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Don't get me wrong early's door i used to like rag with razor off steetly. But when going down the yorkshire rocks and gulley's like to have crab.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Dont get me wrong Ive spent all summer stockpiling crab, I wouldn't be without it until November. But a lot of anglers dont see past it, whereas imo ragworm and mussel fish really well this early in the season.
What type of ground do you find works best for Mussel ?

The old guys used to swear by it and I have tried and tried again and never had anything than the odd Coalie on it so I take it I am doing something wrong :wallbash:

Always willing to learn some thing new if you got some good advice plz.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
down deneholm this morn lad next to me was telling me how good mucky bay fishes, telling me of quality bags last yr on crab ,like many he says it fishes till the real cold snap arrives then changes to worm.

north end of beach always seems to do better rougher ground i believe its just the hike.

very little in comp he told me last night but he was catching loads of macky on a spinner this morn.

only went dwn myself to try diff gear out .

think the likes of deneholm fishes best after november north end better till then.

ragworm never realy done much on it myself except for plaice but some swear by it beginning and end of winter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts