World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a friend with an open "canadian" type canoe which has been used for a bit of fishing in some of our freshwater lochs to good effect. When fishing he uses a home made outrigger for extra stability but has been looking for a purpose built outrigger or stabilizer which would be a bit tidier and more reliable.
So far he has found a "scotty" make on sale in the uk but it is very expensive.
Can any of you Kayaking "loonies" help here with a steer as to a decent scottish or uk store that might be able to supply such a thing ?

many thanks
Jim

·
Registered
573 Posts
there is a shop in newcastle that has everything the owner is a fanatic derwent watersports is the name i think if you gogle it.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
theres a shop in perth that deals in canoes try them you get stabiliseres for inflatable canoes.

·
Registered
467 Posts
brookbank canoes in perth might be able to supply outriggers for it! but i would think they would be quite expensive

·
Registered
281 Posts
get a couple of 2.5 litre pots and tie one either side of the canoe seat and hang them in the water about a foot or so, this should act like a ballast to steady the canoe....................or maybe not........

I believe you can buy conical shaped stabilisers for boats, maybe 3 a side hung over side. They catch water and thus prevent the rocking side to side motion, try lifting a bucket of water out if the sea and you will feel the resistance.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I asked a similar question a while back and someone linked me to this place hxxp://www.kayrak.ca/products.htm Its american but there shouldnt be any problems having it posted to you in a week. Failing that, check out the songofthepaddle forum. Its got loads of good info on it about these kindof things.

Oh, and we never did get ours in the end as after more practice it got alot more stable so we never bothered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts