World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps, have posted this on the South and West Wales board also, but i know a few of you have ventured east in the past

We're of on holiday to Canon Pyon in Hereford next week and she has let me have a day pass

Canon Pyon is nowhere near the sea (I didn't book the holiday by the way) and the nearest mark seems to be Severn Bridge area at about 50 miles due south, with Aberystwyth 70 miles due east

Do you have any suggestions of somewhere half decent along with baits etc. Will be taking my light spinning rod with me and may be able to fit my eight 1/2 foot pier rod (which is ok for short beach work, just, rated at 100 to 250 grams) no room for the beachcaster and the kids won't sit on the roof to make space.

Reasonable travel distance is a must. I dont think my pass will stretch to 3hrs travel each way with a 6hr sesh in between, and I'm rather partial to my 'nads

All advice appreciated

John

·
Global Moderator
7,083 Posts
Being no expert, my limited experience of the Severn Bridge area is massive tides and 200g leads. You could possibly have a go on to the mud downtide of Battery Point (Portishead ) for a sole but if I were you I'd have a go on the Wye or severn for a pike or Chub/Barbel. Frownhope is a great area on the Wye.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Si

Not only do I not do puddles or have a license, but, I haven't been out since end of March, and the thought of getting the chance to be salty is too hard to resist

It'll probably end in tears and lost tackle, but I just gotta do it:crazy::crazy::crazy:

·
The Bean Counter
44,170 Posts
From Canon Pyon, it's not a bad run down to Porthcawl. Easy fishing from the harbour for anything from bass to small eyed rays through to doggies and some smaller species. Additional bernefit is that the family have shops and a fair to go round whilst you have a decent session. Pier rod will be ideal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts