World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Fished the point last night some good fun with the whiting and a little dog fish my first..
All caught and released. View attachment 1123601
Hi Grant. I was born on Canvey 63 years ago fished it regularly until about ten years ago when I moved to Kent (THE DARK SIDE) You are the first person I’ve ever heard of, catching a Doggie from Canvey, It has certainly has changed over the years, I remember when you could catch 15 lb Cod of the wall by the old forts behind Thorney Bay Camp, and that was not unusual. You could also catch more Flounder, Plaice, Eels, Bass (double figures) off the point and Scars elbow, than you could carry home. I even had a Red Gurnard one night session off the groin at the Lobster Smack. Those were the days, seems hard to believe now but it is true. Will we ever see those days again? I doubt it, not in my lifetime anyway. Sorry just had to reminisce. Ooooh ! showing my age now! Lol.
Tight lines. Peter

·
Registered
704 Posts
I he
Hi Grant. I was born on Canvey 63 years ago fished it regularly until about ten years ago when I moved to Kent (THE DARK SIDE) You are the first person I’ve ever heard of, catching a Doggie from Canvey, It has certainly has changed over the years, I remember when you could catch 15 lb Cod of the wall by the old forts behind Thorney Bay Camp, and that was not unusual. You could also catch more Flounder, Plaice, Eels, Bass (double figures) off the point and Scars elbow, than you could carry home. I even had a Red Gurnard one night session off the groin at the Lobster Smack. Those were the days, seems hard to believe now but it is true. Will we ever see those days again? I doubt it, not in my lifetime anyway. Sorry just had to reminisce. Ooooh ! showing my age now! Lol.
Tight lines. Peter
I hear one could catch cod between Northfalls and the point before it all silted up...

·
Registered
578 Posts
I he

ar you could catch cod between Northfalls and the point before it all silted up...
You have summed it up MC, the entire shore is now one big silt bed...the constant dredging has destroyed what was once a thriving marine environment.....

·
Registered
865 Posts
Tight lines. Peter

About this time last year, fishing along the seafront with my wife for a few hours one night, on a flooding tide in a calm-ish breeze....had a few dogfish along with a bucketload of whiting (everything returned though) at medium sort of range from right in front of the Labworth Cafe.

We were fishing in hope (despite reports at the time) of a unicorn. 3 rods between the two of us, two at average sort of distance, and one banged out as far as possible.

Did have an absolute stonking bite at one point (had the rod butt out of the tripod!) on a rod that was fished a bit further out, baited with frozen crab wrapped in squid. Something was pulling back, and nodding its head, then after a minute or so, all went slack.
Must admit, it did lead to a bit of a paddy and almost chucking the last bit of bait in the water and giving in that night. But the whiting kept us busy almost constantly.

Another one that was a gobsmacker, was a small thornback, perhaps 3 or 4lb, caught from the corner of thorney bay where the car ramp goes up to the wall.
Late one summers afternoon, on a bass rod and fixed spool reel with braid, sliding lead and a ragworm bait on, literally plopped out close to the end of the groyne there. Couldnt believe it myself!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts