World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

Staying in Cape Cornwall area end of Aug and would like to know of any spots (within walking distance if poss) for Mackeral/Bass with the kids (light tackle) , if there is a bit of beach for the missus all the better. Also best beach and rigs/bait/time for beach casting for Bass as hopefully I will get some time to myself.

Thanks in advance for any help as I would love to get my children interested in sea fishing and being a bit of a novice need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi - not fantastically familiar with the area however I believe that Cape Cornwall itself has a small beach on the right hand side (as you look to sea) that has a sandy Head. This then leaves you with the option to fish the Cape (float / spin or Bottom). You are also in striking distance of Sennen Cove. Bear in mind if the weather is really bright and beachy you may be better of tackling up for mullet or wrasse. High tide should find you some mackeral so take some feathers if you want to get some bait or for a Barby. Worth using this for bait of the beach at night then. Word of warning - I don't think that the beach has lifeguards so use care and discretion. Regards Steve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

Thanks for the tips and useful safety advice, I will keep my wits about me. Sennen Cove isnt far away so will give that a try with Priest Cove and Pago beach in between, will try spinning and floating whilst having having stroll.
Rich.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi Rich,

I used to live close to St Just and still play cricket there, so fish the area quite often.

I think the beach you are talking about ("Pago") is Progo Beach, a good spot for bass in the evening, but watch the tide there as high tide totally cuts you off. Off the rocks at Cot Valley can also produce some excellent specimens, of Wrasse, Pollack, Mackeral and Bass using worm for the Wrasse and lures for the pollack , Mackeral and Bass.

Continue round the coast from Progo and you come to Porthnanven which is a lovely little beach and if the weed is not there can fish really well. 300 yards Before this there is a lovely ledge in the cliff safe to fish almost all the tide in calm conditions, dangerous if there is a lot of swell. This ledge is not only comfortable but has deep water and thows up lots of good fish.

Sennen does have lifeguards during the day but is best fished at night.

There are lots of good marks from the cliffs around Botallack (Crown mines in particular) and Pendeen (below the lighthouse), these are deep water marks and can throw up some big fish if you are lucky. There are also some great spots on Cape Cornwall, the big gully below the Coastguard lookout is certainly worth a try.

The beach to the North side of Cape Cornwall is Kenidjack, it is quite a walk to get down too and is very rocky but can fish well for bass in the evenings. There is normally quite a good swell running here with lots of white water running over mixed ground. Take your cheap weights for this spot as it is pretty snaggy.

Hope this helps,

Vaughan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vaughan,

Thanks a lot for the excellent advice, I am really looking forward to my visit.

Rgds Richard

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Richard. Pleased to help. Hope the info aids you in sucessful fishing and a good holiday. If your lucky the weather may have improved by the time your down, it has been wet and miserable the last few weeks :mad: We are due a but of sun now.

Cheers

Vaughan

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Zennor Head fishes pretty well for good sized Pollack, Wrasse and Conger + a range of other species as it is pretty deep there.

If I was heading that way from St Just, I would take a walk down to Gurnards Head from the pub with the same name (just before Zennor). Great spot, deep water and you can fish off many spots around the headland, so a sheltered spot is quite easy to find if the weather has not improved!.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Off the rocks at Cot Valley can also produce some excellent specimens, of Wrasse, Pollack, Mackeral and Bass using worm for the Wrasse and lures for the pollack , Mackeral and Bass.
Hello there,

Sorry for dragging this old thread up again but I moved to Carnyorth last January and have been trying to catch a fish at Cot Valley ever since, do you have any tips or advice you can give me please?

Thanks, Paddy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts