World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading to Cape Town from the 12th to 27th of April with my wife and I have a few questions like:
where to go fishing from the shore near cape town.
Can you fish near the waterfront area in Cape Town?
Where are tackle shops located?
How to get a fishing permit etc?
We are staying in Cape Town for 5nights then heading to Hermanus then onto the wilderness park then back through franshhock then back to Cape Town.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
812 Posts
First question ...... will you be taking any kit with you?
if not you will be restricted to buying local (good gear at a good price!) or planning a charter
Charters are very expensive. steer clear of booking anything at the V&A waterfront it basically overpriced trolling. april should be the beginning of the Snoek season. you can get on a local boat and hand line (with pilchard chunks) or jig for them for about £30 for a half day with the locals. great experience, especially when you get a bloody great seal or shark latch onto your catch!!

Surf fishing is possible but not near the waterfront. you need to head down to Kalk bay, St James, Fish Hoek area (try the brass bells at Kalk Bay great food and beer) or pop over the mountain to Kommetjie, along to Noordhoek.

tackle shops.... my favourite is in Fish Hoek;
http://www.greatwhitesport.co.za

Great guys very friendly and happy to tell you where and what the bite is.

if you want the number of a fun little local hand line boat pm me and i will dig it out

have fun
jd

·
Registered
426 Posts
I fished out of Hout bay just south of cape town, only from a boat though, massive tuna if your lucky. Great location, Chapman's peak toll rd worth a drive too. Good tackle shop in knysna, gave me some good advice too, if you fancy a walk & some lure fishing, walk out to the end of robberg peninsula , flick a few plastics about you will catch something! Big sharks visible too if you've got your polaroids on! We did this trip last Nov, Capetown to port elizabeth, fantastic, enjoy!:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for reply any help is appreciated, if you have any numbers of friendly local boats then great!! Any others ideas or tips, please send them over. Are you based there now?

First question ...... will you be taking any kit with you?
if not you will be restricted to buying local (good gear at a good price!) or planning a charter
Charters are very expensive. steer clear of booking anything at the V&A waterfront it basically overpriced trolling. april should be the beginning of the Snoek season. you can get on a local boat and hand line (with pilchard chunks) or jig for them for about £30 for a half day with the locals. great experience, especially when you get a bloody great seal or shark latch onto your catch!!

Surf fishing is possible but not near the waterfront. you need to head down to Kalk bay, St James, Fish Hoek area (try the brass bells at Kalk Bay great food and beer) or pop over the mountain to Kommetjie, along to Noordhoek.

tackle shops.... my favourite is in Fish Hoek;
http://www.greatwhitesport.co.za

Great guys very friendly and happy to tell you where and what the bite is.

if you want the number of a fun little local hand line boat pm me and i will dig it out

have fun
jd

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used to live there but based in Europe these days :(
Will dig numbers out and pm you
Jd
Thanks for this. I was going to take a couple of telescopic sea rods that are about 12ft long when fully open as well as some weights and hooks etc. I am a bit wary about fishing from beaches etc as heard crime is bad. Is it something to worry about in the places you suggest?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fished out of Hout bay just south of cape town, only from a boat though, massive tuna if your lucky. Great location, Chapman's peak toll rd worth a drive too. Good tackle shop in knysna, gave me some good advice too, if you fancy a walk & some lure fishing, walk out to the end of robberg peninsula , flick a few plastics about you will catch something! Big sharks visible too if you've got your polaroids on! We did this trip last Nov, Capetown to port elizabeth, fantastic, enjoy!:)
Sounds great info, I will check out the locations you mentioned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts