World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really just a brief update from anyone contemplating a trip to the Cape Verde Islands some 1000 miles south of the Canaries, 400 miles off the coast of Senegal, West Africa.

Firstly unlike some of the threads regarding the Canaries it's not somewhere you should contemplate going and expect to book an odd day on spec. Whilst we were there the 6 boats in the fleet were fully booked, mainly with Dutch, German and Austrian anglers. The boats varied from a 31' Bertram through to a 46 footer. And daily charter rates were in the 500 to 700 Euro range.

We fished from Sao Vincente island and released 8 smallish Blue Marlin in the 200 to 450lb range in 5 days fishing - two on stand-up tackle.

In the roughish waters - the Trade Winds, funnelling between the islands blow fairly constantly at around 25 to 30 knots - most came on big lures. Hook-up rates were not good. On our best two days we went 3 for 6, and 2 for 8. And although we persevered with a couple of short teasers for the first 3 days the only fish we attracted wouldn't switch to the bait. He swam straight past it, still trying to eat the teaser!

As well as the Blue Marlin which are present between May and October they also catch White Marlin and Spearfish. And Yellowfin Tuna and Sailfish also turn up in good numbers.

If you're seriously hoping to catch your first Blue Marlin and not wanting to spend a ridiculous amount of money this is where I would recommend. Last year two of our members had 16 Blues in 5 1/2 days fishing! Contact me though if you want any further information - [email protected].

Kindest regards
Dave
Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It appears they're still catching Blue Marlin in numbers, including some big fish up to an estimated 750lbs.

If you want to keep updated on progress the mate on Andromeda, Olaf, regularly posts catch reports to his personal web site, it's - Olafs Site .

Alternatively you can view the web site of the boat we used, the 46' Bertram - Andromeda, at Andromeda . (In that earlier posting I got the charter rate completely wrong. Whilst the local boats are in the 500-700 Euros range, Andromeda is 1200 Euros a day.) The web site for Berno's fleet (Berno skippers one boat and a Brit Simon his other) is Bernos Boats
Kindest regards
Dave West
Chairman - Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sent: 13 June 2005 21:51
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Just to demonstrate how prolific the fishing in Cape Verde can be. This is an e-mail I've just received from an American friend just back from CV. He was similarly fishing from the island of Sao Vincente.

Certainly a much better conversion rate than we achieved!

David,

Had trip of a lifetime with Zac and Olaf. I went 19 for 37 on blues in eight days fishing. On last day on Andromeda we went 5 for 9. Fished with Calu on my last day as Andromeda had a new charter, went 3 for 8 on blues and 3 wahoo.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Hmmmmm, wonder if the wife would like to go to Cape Verde next time.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Cape Verde archipelago of which I think there are 10 inhabited islands is a bit like I remember Gran Canaria in the late 70s. Barren and windswept and not too much in the way of tourist development. They're are volcanic in origin though and most have a lee shore.

But things are changing, especially on the main island of Sal where the international flights arrive from. There're a lot of appartments being built together with the infrastructure. And the beaches looked superb and it is of course the nearest destination to mainland Europe that's in the tropics. Talking as well to some of our 'continental neighbours' they really rate it for body and wind surfing and hiking, as well as sun bathing.

The island that we stayed on, Sao Vincente, is a 40 minute plane ride from Sal. It's got the one main town, Mindelo, where we stayed that has a population of about 80K plus two small villages and a developing tourist complex near the airport. We stayed in a very pleasant 3 * hotel, the Mindel, a 5 minute walk from the marina. But there was another very pleasant 4* hotel in the centre of town. I'm not though certain what it had in the way of facilities - pool, etc.

You've probably guessed that it's not the sort of place my wife would like. But she's not a 'sun worshipper'. In fact she's getting decidedly techy about temperatures in Boston, where we're off to on Saturday. Although that's a family holiday I'm managing to squeeze in three days fly fishing on Nantucket Island and Cape Cod for Striped Bass and Bluefish.

Let me know if I can help further though in terms of Cape Verde. I know there're no guarantees in this life, but it does have a lot of Marlin.
Kindest regards
Dave
Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many times do we try and take pictures of fish jumping only to be disappointed when you get the results - shots out of focus or, more likely, just holes in the water and lots of white water.

You may want to look at the photographs on this particular thread on an American - Southern Californian - web site. It shows some excellent shots of Blue Marlin jumping off Sao Vincente - http://www.marlinnut.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/1098.html. It's posting number 14.

Is this the justification for taking the wife along?
Dave

T

·
0 Posts
Fantastic photo's Dave.
Can't wait to get out there on a rekkie.

....Even more excited now after your help and advice the other day.

Cheers again
Tom

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got this note through from Berno, one of the German skippers in Cape Verde, that I thought might be of interest. His season's just started. The reference to Bananas is just an ongoing 'wind-up' we have about their impact on the fishing. Many skippers 'go ape' if you take them out......not Berno though!
Dave

I am pretty sure you all will hate me after reading this news:

I was out today first day and fished the south of Sao Vicente, tons of baitfish everywhere, birds-action all over and some Blues were also around. Unfortunately I went 0 for 3 (strikes), but chre tcheu made it 2 for 5.

That’s the bad news..............but now.

Capt. Simon on Happy Hooker II left this morning on his way with 4th of July winning angler Chris and his friends to Sao Nicolau where Bebiche caught 10 blues out of 22 bites in a half day’s fishing yesterday. On his way down there he caught a small Yellowfin and when I called him late afternoon at Tarafal harbour (Sao Nicolau) he had 6 Blue Marlin release flags and a tuna flag bending his outrigger! He reported 9 bites and all good size to big fish again, 400 lbs to 800 lbs!

After talking to Simon, i called Ferdy on Bebiche, and they broke the record on that boat catching an amasing 14 blues out of 29 or 30 bites !!!!!!

Hey Dave, ;-) Simon took about 5 kg of bananas out this morning!!!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
the fishing is still good-to-very good !

on 19th May local boat "Bebiche" caught 14 blue marlin (out of 20-something strikes/offers/"looks") and "Amelia" run by Zak Conde had 8 (out of 15/18 strikes)

The following week they averaged 2 marlin per angler per day sized from about 200lb to about 900lb

This week someone has been getting 1 a day (on "Bebiche", I think) ..... but most of those have been over 600lb.[/B]

In many places, most years, you count yourself lucky if you get 1 in a week....maybe 2

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
still going well - I gather Andy Fanter (who has gone there several years) had more than 50 in a couple of weeks

("had" - I'm not sure if he was counting was Catch & Released, connected -briefly - as well as C&R e.g. "19 for 54" , or just the number that had taken a look at his lures...whether or not he hooked them)

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
still going well - I gather Andy Fanter (who has gone there several years) had more than 50 in a couple of weeks

("had" - I'm not sure if he was counting was Catch & Released, connected -briefly - as well as C&R e.g. "19 for 54" , or just the number that had taken a look at his lures...whether or not he hooked them)
Hi Roger
Andy's personal total for the 16 days was 51 released. Best catch six in one day. The boat however had 55, so I assume either the crew, or Andy's wife were forced to wind the others in when they latched into 'double headers'. It's a hard life!

And he's off to La Gomera (Canary Islands) next month with Matthias.
Dave

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
thanks PanamaJack - just saw his report on "MarlinNut" ( http://www.marlinnut.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/1281.html )
and yes - one or two were wound in by Ingrid ( http://ings.homepage.dk/ ) , Marty's better half
it is worth looking at her site folks - she takes great photos.

I don't know if Marty is going to 'tag' Ingrid but I think he already knows he'd be a fool to 'release' her !

T

·
0 Posts
I just emailed Zak (the Skipper of Amalia) and asked for rates and availability.

Zak has two weeks available in April next year and highly rates the fishing for Blues from April through to the end of July.

I asked about getting a few days booked and he came back with the following.

Daily rate is €900, but if we book 5 days he'll give the 6th free and 6 days he'll give the 7th free.
6 Days fishing equates to €4,500 and the fishing is likely to be a once in a lifetime experience, even for relatively hardened BG anglers.

Basically am really keen to book up, but cannot on my own.
If I can find two other anglers to join me (pull straws for the first strike and then take turns after that) and believe me watching someone play a big Marlin is nearly as exciting and a damn site less tireing than playing it yourself, then I reckon this would be affordable and make a damn fine holiday.

My idea is three anglers on the boat, plus respective non angling partners joining us for the day if they wish.
Work out the cheapest flights (direct from UK to Sal and then local plane to Sao Vincent) and some simple accommodation and I reckon you have a superb holiday that can be part fishing for us, plus a few days in the tropics for them.

Very roughly the 6 days angling will work out at about £1000 each (€1,500). Now that is fantastic value for anyone who has booked a game boat before. This is probably one of a small handful of places in the world where you are almost definitely going to get your Blue Marlin.
For arguements sake, add another £1,500 for the total cost of flights, accommodation and drinks etc and you have a luxury holiday for 2 to the tropics at a "developing" resort archipelago including 6 days of the best Big Game Fishing in the World.

I'll need to move quick on this if people want to come along. So PM's if you are interested.

Summary:
Remember something along the lines of 10 days to 14 days holiday
6 days Marlin fishing on Amalia
3 Anglers plus 3 Partners
Total cost to be finalised (haven't checked flight costs or accommodation costs ) but about £2.5K per couple in TOTAL.
A tip for the crew would be expected which we can work out later.

PM if genuinely interested and in a position to place a holding deposit.

Tom

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I just emailed Zak (the Skipper of Amalia) and asked for rates and availability.

Zak has two weeks available in April next year and highly rates the fishing for Blues from April through to the end of July.

I asked about getting a few days booked and he came back with the following.

Daily rate is €900, but if we book 5 days he'll give the 6th free and 6 days he'll give the 7th free.
6 Days fishing equates to €4,500 and the fishing is likely to be a once in a lifetime experience, even for relatively hardened BG anglers.

Basically am really keen to book up, but cannot on my own.
If I can find two other anglers to join me (pull straws for the first strike and then take turns after that) and believe me watching someone play a big Marlin is nearly as exciting and a damn site less tireing than playing it yourself, then I reckon this would be affordable and make a damn fine holiday.

My idea is three anglers on the boat, plus respective non angling partners joining us for the day if they wish.
Work out the cheapest flights (direct from UK to Sal and then local plane to Sao Vincent) and some simple accommodation and I reckon you have a superb holiday that can be part fishing for us, plus a few days in the tropics for them.

Very roughly the 6 days angling will work out at about £1000 each (€1,500). Now that is fantastic value for anyone who has booked a game boat before. This is probably one of a small handful of places in the world where you are almost definitely going to get your Blue Marlin.
For arguements sake, add another £1,500 for the total cost of flights, accommodation and drinks etc and you have a luxury holiday for 2 to the tropics at a "developing" resort archipelago including 6 days of the best Big Game Fishing in the World.

I'll need to move quick on this if people want to come along. So PM's if you are interested.

Summary:
Remember something along the lines of 10 days to 14 days holiday
6 days Marlin fishing on Amalia
3 Anglers plus 3 Partners
Total cost to be finalised (haven't checked flight costs or accommodation costs ) but about £2.5K per couple in TOTAL.
A tip for the crew would be expected which we can work out later.

PM if genuinely interested and in a position to place a holding deposit.

Tom
PM coming.
Word of warning:- Zak's skill as a skipper greatly exceeds his ability at managing a diary so don't assume you've definitely got the booking until sometime after you have received confirmation that the deposit is accepted.
I did think of telling him that John Prescott's diary secretary is now available..... :secret:

T

·
0 Posts
PM coming.
Word of warning:- Zak's skill as a skipper greatly exceeds his ability at managing a diary so don't assume you've definitely got the booking until sometime after you have received confirmation that the deposit is accepted.
I did think of telling him that John Prescott's diary secretary is now available..... :secret:
Hi Roger

Zak has confirmed(?) that our dates are infact 26th to 30th April.
5 days fishing.

I may well have my other anglers now, although not via the forum.
With the anglers I have pencilled in I am sure that there will be some great pictures and a good review coming from it assuming we get fish.
Just waiting for the third angler to return from Norway to confirm the booking 100% and get a deposit wired to Zak. He claims he will hold it open for us until we can do this in a few days.

Tom

T

·
0 Posts
OK

I thought I had a ready made crew, but one now only wants to come as a photographer (You know who I mean... and I thought it was the Scots who were tight!) which will mean his pal is unlikely to come.

So I still have this superb holiday up for grabs for two anglers to join me in Cape Verde.
Make a full thing of it if you wish and bring the other half too.

Actual dates that are pencilled inZak's diary are fishing from the 26th to 30th April 2008 and we can stay for as long or as little as individuals decide either side of that.

Fishing will be from Mindello, Sao Vincent, but holidaying could be on any of the other islands outside of fishing dates.

Fishing costs are €750 per day for the whole boat. This is dirt cheap and should be incredible sport on medium weight tackle.

So shared fishing costs will be €3,750 split three ways = €1,250 each or approx £860.
To this we will need to remember a bit for tips to boat crew.
Finally, flights, accommodation and spending money needs adding, but your holiday is going to come in sensibly priced and will be the most amazing experience.

Please PM me if you would like to come and give me a number so we can have a chat about it.

I will need a 50% deposit for fishing costs urgently as whilst Zak has us in his diary, it ain't confirmed until he has half as a deposit (refundable in bad weather).

Tom

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Tom
What do they say about there being nowt so queer as folks? Thought you'd got it sorted. Never mind there're several Club members apparently keen to go. Let me contact them over the weekend and I'll get back to you.

Just to whet your appetite one of the other boats, one of the 'Happy Hooker' fleet skippered by Simon Bracey (a ex-pat Brit) released a 'grander' on 3rd July. So not too certain about your 'medium weight' tackle! Any rate they've everything on Amelia from 50s to 130s.
Dave

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Hi Tom
What do they say about there being nowt so queer as folks? Thought you'd got it sorted. Never mind there're several Club members apparently keen to go. Let me contact them over the weekend and I'll get back to you.

Just to whet your appetite one of the other boats, one of the 'Happy Hooker' fleet skippered by Simon Bracey (a ex-pat Brit) released a 'grander' on 3rd July. So not too certain about your 'medium weight' tackle! Any rate they've everything on Amelia from 50s to 130s.
Dave
They didn't have 130s a couple of months ago, but I would not be surprised if they did by the end of this season (Zak was muttering "I wish it was on 130" while UKChris was having a 3-hour struggle with his 800 pounder on 80# gear).

It's "all very well" getting a 10:1 fish, but I think I'd rather get it as 6:1 than spend 2.7 hours plus worrying......... (and 10 mins at the start and end of the fight feeling confident)

T

·
0 Posts
Many thanks to Roger Bradbury and Dave West for helping with all the organisation.

The trip is booked. Hopefully for me it will be one of a lifetime and I am looking forward to spending a few days with some like minded anglers for fishing, a spot of banter and maybe a cold beer in the evenings.

Thanks Guys and to those who are coming, see you at the airport.

Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts