World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think i might pop down this week before work, i've never been before.
any advice you can give me will be appreciated
what bait to use, what time to go, where to cast.
also do they charge you to fish there?

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
Hello mate, if you are fishing the seaward side of the barrage (on the long arm only) it is free, but if you want to fish the bay itself you'll need an EA fishing licence and a Harbour authority day ticket which i think costs £6..

Have a look HERE and HERE

Hope this helps,, :thumbs:

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Fishing is free, all day parking was around 6 quid when I went last, you can only fish the seaward side, no fishing allowed in the lock but you can put a drop net down for some shrimps which are good under the float for the bass. Daytime fishing only, it's usually open from about 6am, earlier sometimes depending on the tide.

You're looking at pin whiting, eels and flounders on rag and mack, small codling from September, and bass. Have fun. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Was down there today!
Not that great to be honest, but managed a few pin Whiting, Codling, flatties and Eels on Rag... I was about 30yards along + a few people were float fishing prawns to my left - without much success, but one guy did catch a 2.5lb Mullet... By the sound of it most of the schoolie Bass were getting caught up the other end.

I'd recommend using a scratching rig (size 2-4 hooks) baited with small rag, cast about 60yrds into the channel. I've tried larger baits e.g. whole squid, sandeel wraps and Mackerel fillets, but haven't had any luck there yet...

Have fun! :laugh:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was down there on Sunday and saw very little caught I managed a small strap conger and small Dover sole which was pretty poor session fishing to rods but at least I beat the blank. I tend to fish to the left of the pink hut fishing out towards a the green buoy the is a channel about 50-60 yards out and I find it usually fishes well when I fish this spot although in my opinion it seems poor this summer compared to last year at the same time when I was having 15-20 fish a session and some sizeable flounder,whiting,codling and schoolies for me it's a good venue if you want easy fishing and want to just catch fish but not anything of size although did see a nice thornback ray of 6lb come off there Sunday and a couple of bass by the sluice gates near the bottom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts