World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi lads,any of u boat owners know of any tidy conger marks out of cardiff. me, welsh warrior and dai boy r fishing the cardiff yaght clubs big fish boat comp on sunday. i have fished this comp for the past 3 years and normally fish lavenock point and around sully island with reasonable success. normally conger of around 20 -25lb, but r normally beaten with congers up uin the thirties plus. am i better off fishing the deeper water channels.:g:any help off u lads would be great.:clap3:DEAN.

·
Registered
Century Kompressor Super Sports, Penn Mags, Sloshes
3,584 Posts
i think you have the good marks sussed there mate.......
lavernock and around sully island.......
for bait try pouting and whiting flappers.......
don't know whether there are any wrecks around that area??? if so maybe try them.....
best of luck to you all,
sam.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
shud i try n get sum pouting and whiting???? g/e

·
Registered
Century Kompressor Super Sports, Penn Mags, Sloshes
3,584 Posts
shud i try n get sum pouting and whiting???? g/e
i have found that it works for the bigger eels off the shore, so im sure half a side or whole depending on the size of it would work well for the big eels off the boat.........
best of luck.......

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
hi lads,any of u boat owners know of any tidy conger marks out of cardiff. me, welsh warrior and dai boy r fishing the cardiff yaght clubs big fish boat comp on sunday. i have fished this comp for the past 3 years and normally fish lavenock point and around sully island with reasonable success. normally conger of around 20 -25lb, but r normally beaten with congers up uin the thirties plus. am i better off fishing the deeper water channels.:g:any help off u lads would be great.:clap3:DEAN.
hi great escape have a look at your pms mate this marks brings in the big congers over 30lb its a :secret: mark dont let no one know tight lines

·
Registered
131 Posts
1) penarth side of flat holm island fishes well. as you start to go around the back of the island just out from the landing platform you will notice lots of different channels.fish here tide comming in. try closer to the island if you are experiencing too much rip.

2) just outside the ranny bouy there is a hole which throws up some nice congers. not sure of the exact location but it is shown on the plotter if you have one.otherwise its about 1/2 mile to a mile out off the bouy

3) monkstone light house the ground adjacent to this is very rocky which holds conger find the rock face on your depth sounder and fish onto the side off the rock

4) old cardiff north this is not marked by anything any more but it is about a mile and a half up channel of the cardiff north bouy. this throws up a mixed bag of species but we have caught some nice conger previously even though its mostly sand here.

these are a few good marks which we have caught some good fish over the years but same with every where they can be hit or miss with regards to the big ones.

Baits i would use would be macky, rag and squid either alone or as combi. if your after the bigger ones double or treble squid or whole fillets of mackeral.

hope this helps

·
Registered
305 Posts
G.E. Try in front of Barry Harbour good for cod in winter and conger patchy ground.
Not sure how big they get but have heard them come 40 pound plus.
Personally I would stay up Swansea, Oxwich or the Haven as the water is cleaner and fish (species) better.
May see you soon up Milford the way the weather is lately I cant seem to find a decent day to get out on my orkney.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
G.E. Try in front of Barry Harbour good for cod in winter and conger patchy ground.
Not sure how big they get but have heard them come 40 pound plus.
Personally I would stay up Swansea, Oxwich or the Haven as the water is cleaner and fish (species) better.
May see you soon up Milford the way the weather is lately I cant seem to find a decent day to get out on my orkney.
hi black pig,would love to stay up swansea way,but u r missing the point. this is a cardiff boat comp so i have to fish cardiff waters.cannot travel any further west than nash point.:g:DEAN. thanks anyway:clap3:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
My biggest conger from a Cardiff boat came in the deep hole off Flatholm,38lb of ugly black eel on an uptider!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Get down off Aberthaw if the weather allows. It's a long time siince I've fished there so bear with me. I have no charts now so if you get yours out in front of you to check. Approximately a mile or so straight out from the beach outflows you will find a dropoff approx 40ft difference, anchor on to the shallow side and cast into the deeper water, this mark produces good conger but don't forget FRESH bait.
HTH
John

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My biggest conger from a Cardiff boat came in the deep hole off Flatholm,38lb of ugly black eel on an uptider!
thanks for that steve,youre the second person to mention that mark to me so it will deffo be on my hit list.:g:cheers, DEAN:clap2:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
im takin 2 30-30lb class rods and an uptider!!! iv decided now!!! lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts