World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
Today was my first time sea fishing at st. Brides in Cardiff/newport.

I've got a basic setup....

One rod 4-8 oz
Fixed spool reel with 18lb main line and 50lb shock leader
A single hook flapper rig using impact lead of 5oz and hook size 1/0
And my bait was ragworm with squid on the end

I have been told that when you've got a bite, you don't strike and you leave it a short time before bringing it in. But I found that I missed a few opportunities doing this.
So does this only refer to people using double hook rigs, to maximise the chances of hooking into two fish?

Also, I went down this morning when high tide was at 10:45 , so I fished two hours before and two hours after.
I managed to catch three small codling.

As a few of you may well know, it's quite muddy down st.Brides and I'm wondering if I'm on track or should there be anything that I need to change.

All help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
A lot of it is down to personal choice with the bite detection and hooking / missing the bites I personally use two rods one for long distance on a fish bait for the bigger stamp of fish eg cod rays on a pennell pulley rig or an up and over and a scratcher rod shorter distance on a flapper rig 2 or even 3 hook. me personally as soon as the tip moves to a reasonable standard that's when I bring it in. I fished at st brides Wednesday night and was getting taps all the time only resulting in 1 codling and 1 flattie everything your doing sounds good just a matter of perseverance . Joe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts