World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to head of somewhere different today Carnoustie a place i have only fished once before.
Fished 08:45 to 17:00, Tide LT=09:35 HT=15:41 (Dundee), Bait lug,mackie,bluey. Weather calm , dry warm until last couple of hours when temp dropped. Water clear.

I was not sure what to expect here i knew you could get flounders so i was looking forward to maybe a few of them. I was using 3 hook 2up 1/0's, 1 down size 8 rig just to see if there was any mini species kicking around. Things started of well first cast on each rod brought in flounders one nice and one small. That set the scene for the day it was catching decent sizes and very small with nothing inbetween. I think catching the small ones was maybe due to fishing one rod more towards the burn that was running into the sea. I caught most of the fish before the half tide then things really slowed down did get one or two after that but it was quieter. I did manage 1 double with a good flounder and a tiny one to go with it. All in all it was a good sesh with plenty fish the big fish caught on the mackie and the small were caught on the lugworm baits. The bluey bait done absolutely nothing today.
I got caught out with a bridge you have to pass under just before the golf club. It is just over 2 metre high and i had my cb ariel on top of car so that took a beating, as if that was bad enough i forgot about it on the way out and done it again.

Total catch 11 flounders.. A nice start to RNLI charity catch......Video to follow.

tn_GEDC0077.JPG

My first flounder

tn_GEDC0098.JPG

The smaller side of flounder fishing.

tn_GEDC0106.JPG

The big and small of it.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Burnie.

·
Registered
757 Posts
great wee read pal. least u got into a few. all the best bud

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well done on the fish maybe its worth a visit to carnoustie for a few casts... I am heading off to wormit on Tuesday with the mrs so hopefully something will turn up.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was there two weeks ago caught nowt so well done to you bud
Thanks Bassbuster, i wasn't sure if i was going to get anything myself so it was a nice surprise.

Nice one mate.
This weekends big tides hopefully the bringing the fish back inshore.
Let's hope so some summer weather would be a big help too.

great wee read pal. least u got into a few. all the best bud
Thanks Jamie, yeh had a few pity they weren't all the bigger sizes but a fish is a fish.

Well done on the fish maybe its worth a visit to carnoustie for a few casts... I am heading off to wormit on Tuesday with the mrs so hopefully something will turn up.
Thanks Craig, pity i'm working tuesday i may have joined you over there.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Well done mate good catch. I have a friend who used to live in Carnoustie and we had some decent flounder from infront of the golf course to the west of the where the burn comes out. He and another friend also got a turbot from there!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mick, I'll be having a few other trips over there nice looking beach maybe have a go on the other side of burn.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Kev.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You are on fire Mike. Just watched the video , fantastic. Great haul for all your efforts . Thanks....Mike.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Decent haul of flounders Mike.
Can't beat a bit of flattie bashing.
Its one of the few fish where the longer you leave the bites the better chance of hooking a double or a treble.
Can have no complaints about missing a bite;).

It's surprising how close in you can catch them, good technique is rather the casting straight out, cast at an angle. The tide moves the bait along the bottom with the bow in the line.

Well done again and thanks for sharing.

Cheers willie

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are on fire Mike. Just watched the video , fantastic. Great haul for all your efforts . Thanks....Mike.
Thanks Mike, i try my best.

Cracking report m8 good read, I didn't think CB radios still existed I was a demon on them when I was younger lol
Thanks Mikey, there's still quite a few folk on cb yet good buddy lol.

Decent haul of flounders Mike.
Can't beat a bit of flattie bashing.
Its one of the few fish where the longer you leave the bites the better chance of hooking a double or a treble.
Can have no complaints about missing a bite;).

It's surprising how close in you can catch them, good technique is rather the casting straight out, cast at an angle. The tide moves the bait along the bottom with the bow in the line.

Well done again and thanks for sharing.

Cheers willie
Thanks Willie, I like my flattie bashing i also like variety in my flatfish. Aye but the problem is if you leave it out to long the fish tend to deep hook. I've seen kids catching flounder less than 5ft away in inches of water.

Reactions: neptunes
1 - 16 of 16 Posts